how to remove unwanted categories in outlook 2016

Anonymous
2018-09-08T13:49:35+00:00

I have a long list with automatically created categories in outlook calendar (“weather 20141”, “weather 21000”, ….) which I want to remove from that list but I can’t?  

When I open the list with categories (which I can only do if I first select an appointment), select the categories that I want to remove and click on delete, he asks me whether I am sure and if I confirm they are NOT removed? 

I have been searching on the internet for a solution and somebody mentions the “tag” group under the “home” tab but I do not have that group either?  

Who knows how to get rid of these categories (that have never been assigned to any of my appointments) that blur the overview of my list with personal categories ?

(I am using windows 10 and outlook 2016)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-11-02T11:15:15+00:00

Unfortunately, it has started again, see screenshot below. I can delete them now without problems as I have not added all add-ins that were linked to my outlook calendar before. So the problem that I could not remove them clearly had to do with some of the add-ins but I do not have time to add them one by one to find out which one it was.

I believe I have also found where the problem came from and I am trying the solution given on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/mlu8O7Vtxt0.

It seems to be a known problem in google...

Hope this helps to get rid of the extra categories permanently...

Martina

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-12T07:01:39+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    You can try to create a category in Outlook client and check if you can delete it. If yes, the reason you cannot delete them should be that they are synced from your google calendars using OggSync. Regarding this, please delete the categories from your google calendars and then check if they have been removed in Outlook client. (If it syncs well, the categories should also be removed from Outlook client).

    If you also cannot delete the categories created in Outlook client, it should be a client issue. For the Outlook version, it should look like "Version 1807 (Build 10325.20118)" (under About Outlook). And I would like to know what's the type for your account. If you are using Office 365 for Business account, please try to sign in Outlook Web App and check if you can delete them.

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-09-13T08:28:13+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Is there any update you would like to share with us?

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-09-14T07:47:50+00:00

    I am still puzzled how I whould delete a category.

    In webmail I cannot see the categories at all.

    In outlook I can only go to the window "all categories" when I first select a message, appointment or task and if I then click on "delete" he only removes the category from the selected message, appointment or task?

    How can I get all the categories without first selecting an item?

    I have not yet got any response from OggSync (I do hope that they will tell me that the many weather categories are indeed created by OggSync - although I have no idee how and why - and that they then offer a solution to avoid this in the future).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-09-16T16:55:16+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    May I know if you are using Office 365 for Business account? The capture I provided is the webmail for Office 365 for Business account. If you are not using Office 365 for Business account, it's better to contact the related webmail provider for further assistance (delete it from server). If you are using Office 365 for Business account and cannot see the Categories as my screenshot shows, please take a screenshot about how it shows on your side.

    For deleting category in Outlook client,  please click the Categorize under Tags as the screenshot in my first reply, if you cannot see it, please also provide us a screenshot about how it shows on your side. Besides, generally, when you right click a message or calendar, you should see the option as the same as the Categorize under Tags, it not just remove the category of the message or calendar but the category itself:

    And please check if you can delete the categories you created in Outlook client and let us know the result.

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments