how to remove unwanted categories in outlook 2016

Anonymous
2018-09-08T13:49:35+00:00

I have a long list with automatically created categories in outlook calendar (“weather 20141”, “weather 21000”, ….) which I want to remove from that list but I can’t?  

When I open the list with categories (which I can only do if I first select an appointment), select the categories that I want to remove and click on delete, he asks me whether I am sure and if I confirm they are NOT removed? 

I have been searching on the internet for a solution and somebody mentions the “tag” group under the “home” tab but I do not have that group either?  

Who knows how to get rid of these categories (that have never been assigned to any of my appointments) that blur the overview of my list with personal categories ?

(I am using windows 10 and outlook 2016)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-11-02T11:15:15+00:00

Unfortunately, it has started again, see screenshot below. I can delete them now without problems as I have not added all add-ins that were linked to my outlook calendar before. So the problem that I could not remove them clearly had to do with some of the add-ins but I do not have time to add them one by one to find out which one it was.

I believe I have also found where the problem came from and I am trying the solution given on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/mlu8O7Vtxt0.

It seems to be a known problem in google...

Hope this helps to get rid of the extra categories permanently...

Martina

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-30T13:28:14+00:00

    THEY ARE GONE!!!

    After I disabled all those add-ins in outlook (except for OggSync and Skype Meeting (the last one I couldn't unable), everything went fine: I could delete the weather categories (one by one), it said first they were deleted from the master category (or something similar) and when I opened "all categories" the next time ALL the weather categories were GONE !!!

    At last they are gone!!!

    So (at least one of) the add-ins were the problem. I don't know which add-ins I really need or use.

    Can you give some advice on the add-ins in my "com add-ins" list, see pictures?

    Thanks for your help!

    Martina

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-31T08:45:07+00:00

    Hi Martina,

    I'm really glad to hear that you can delete those weather categories when opening Outlook in safe mode. And to confirm which add-ins has caused this issue, you can re-add add-ins one by one until this issue occurs again. 

    Looking forward to your updates.

    Regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-01T15:41:42+00:00

    Hi Martina,

    Does everything work well now? Any updates will be appreciated.

    Regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-04T06:53:50+00:00

    Hello Martina,

    Greetings. Wish you have resolved this issue by the solution you found. However, if above solution doesn't help you figure out this issue, as you mentioned it is a known issue in Google, please contact google support team to see if they have any other solutions or workarounds to fix this issue.  

    Best regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments