how to remove unwanted categories in outlook 2016

Anonymous
2018-09-08T13:49:35+00:00

I have a long list with automatically created categories in outlook calendar (“weather 20141”, “weather 21000”, ….) which I want to remove from that list but I can’t?  

When I open the list with categories (which I can only do if I first select an appointment), select the categories that I want to remove and click on delete, he asks me whether I am sure and if I confirm they are NOT removed? 

I have been searching on the internet for a solution and somebody mentions the “tag” group under the “home” tab but I do not have that group either?  

Who knows how to get rid of these categories (that have never been assigned to any of my appointments) that blur the overview of my list with personal categories ?

(I am using windows 10 and outlook 2016)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-11-02T11:15:15+00:00

Unfortunately, it has started again, see screenshot below. I can delete them now without problems as I have not added all add-ins that were linked to my outlook calendar before. So the problem that I could not remove them clearly had to do with some of the add-ins but I do not have time to add them one by one to find out which one it was.

I believe I have also found where the problem came from and I am trying the solution given on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/mlu8O7Vtxt0.

It seems to be a known problem in google...

Hope this helps to get rid of the extra categories permanently...

Martina

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-09T14:35:06+00:00

    I still have the same problem?

    The procedure that you describe to delete a category DOES NOT WORK. Of course I have done the procedure that you describe after ("If there is no mail or appointments that are allocated to the categories, you should can delete the category via following directly") already several times but the category that I delete does not disappear ?!?!, the only thing that happens if I do that is that the category is assigned to the mail message or appointment that I had selected before opening the "all categories" menu.

    I thought you could replicate this? isn't that the case anymore?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-09T10:25:39+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    If you have any concern about this or you have different scenario?

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-07T06:59:08+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    To open the list of categories is clicking Categorize under Tags, then clicking All Categories. And yes, you should click on an items so that the Categorize option will show up. 

    Regarding this "The problem is that there are NO mails or appointments that are allocated to the categories that I want to delete, so there is no need to delete the categories from them first." 

    If there is no mail or appointments that are allocated to the categories, you should can delete the category via following directly:

    Once you have mail is allocated to the categories, when you click on the email, the category will still show up on the Categories list looks like xxx(not in Master Category List). Since I noticed your categories in the screenshot you provided:

    If you want to delete category Whether: 00142 Roma, you should uncheck the option in front of  Whether: 00142 Roma (not in Master Category List). Then you won't see the category from your categories list when you click the email. But in this method, it just mean you removed the category from this email. If you want to remove the category from all items and the category won't show up in categories list whatever you select, you should search out all items are allocated to the category and then unselect the checkbox in front of Whether: 00142 Roma (not in Master Category List) as I mentioned before.

    If you don't have any email or appointment is allocated to the category and you still cannot delete it, would you mind recording a video about what's happen on your side? For the video, please send it to us via PM.

    For the "signal click", sorry for my mistake, I just mean "click".

    Thanks,

    Iry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-04T07:41:09+00:00

    Thank you for your reply. I haven't got much time to look into this but I do not think this solves my problem.

    To be clear: I do not have any problem with deleting categories from mails or appointments. The problem is that there are NO mails or appointments that are allocated to the categories that I want to delete, so there is no need to delete the categories from them first.

    Is there any way to open the list of categories without first selecting at least one mail message or appointment?

    that is clearly one of the problems, as that selected message or appointment always gets the category that I try to delete!

    (I do not know what you mean with "signal click"? I have no idea.)

    So no, the problem is not solved unfortunately...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments