how to remove unwanted categories in outlook 2016

Anonymous
2018-09-08T13:49:35+00:00

I have a long list with automatically created categories in outlook calendar (“weather 20141”, “weather 21000”, ….) which I want to remove from that list but I can’t?  

When I open the list with categories (which I can only do if I first select an appointment), select the categories that I want to remove and click on delete, he asks me whether I am sure and if I confirm they are NOT removed? 

I have been searching on the internet for a solution and somebody mentions the “tag” group under the “home” tab but I do not have that group either?  

Who knows how to get rid of these categories (that have never been assigned to any of my appointments) that blur the overview of my list with personal categories ?

(I am using windows 10 and outlook 2016)

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-11-02T11:15:15+00:00

Unfortunately, it has started again, see screenshot below. I can delete them now without problems as I have not added all add-ins that were linked to my outlook calendar before. So the problem that I could not remove them clearly had to do with some of the add-ins but I do not have time to add them one by one to find out which one it was.

I believe I have also found where the problem came from and I am trying the solution given on https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/calendar/mlu8O7Vtxt0.

It seems to be a known problem in google...

Hope this helps to get rid of the extra categories permanently...

Martina

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-30T12:23:26+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    To start Outlook in safe mode, press Win + R at the same time > type Outlook /safe. Note: there is a space between Outlook and “/”. After you successfully open Outlook in safe mode, please go to File > Options > Add-ins > COM Add-ins > Go, unchecked all check box in the pop window.

    PLease kindly try above steps to see if there is any difference.

    Meanwhile, there is a simple way to confirm if this issue is related to the OggSync you used, that is to set one of the calendar that has this problem to don't use the OggSync to see if the problem is still the same.

    If the same problem persists after you don't use the OggSync to this calendar, please feel free to post back and tell us more details about the steps you have tried.

    If not, it is suggested to contact OggSync support team to do more troubleshoot about this issue. Moreover, if your friends who also use the OggSync to sync calendar items, please also confirm with them to see if they have encountered the same issue.

    Regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-29T17:28:40+00:00

    Jennifer, I am not able to open outlook in safe mode with the instructions that I have found on Toledo because my computer says that he cannot find the outlook.exe file and I cannot find it either. Where should it be saved?

    I cannot remove the weather categories from my google calendar because I have never seen or used them in that calendar either - see pictures below. (I only thought they came from google via OggSync but I have no proof of that either; it can as well be a bug in outlook)

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-28T07:18:45+00:00

    Hi MarVdb,

    Thanks for your screenshots. So per to this scenario, to confirm if this issue is related to the OggSynce you used, please start Outlook client in safe mode to see if you can successfully remove those categories from the category list.

    Meanwhile, if you still cannot delete categories in safe mode, could you please check if you can delete the categories from your google calendars? If so, after re-syncing your google calendars from the server, those categories should have been removed in Outlook client. 

    Please lat us know the reault and to assist you more efficiently, please send us a screenshot of your Outlook client version. See: File > Office Accounts > About Outlook.

    Regards,

    Jennifer

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-26T13:34:49+00:00

    I know how to search for categories in my mailbox and appointments and how to remove categories that are assigned. I do hope  that with the following screenshorts you will at last believe that I have to mails or appointments assigned to the weather categories...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments