Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Anonymous
2019-01-22T11:12:35+00:00

Hello,

I have the strange behaviour that I can't edit some of mine existing notes in my Contacts.

I have several existing contacts (View = Card but I dont think it matters, because in other view it also won't work) with some notes, sometimes I can edit the notes in a contact and there are other Contacts where I can't edit the notes. All the other fields I can edit.

Any idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-01T22:33:12+00:00

We posted a known issue article to track status, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-edit-the-notes-field-for-a-contact-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team found the root cause of the issue.  It has to do with the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.  The only workaround for existing contacts today is to use MFCMAPIto remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.

As part of the investigation the product team is trying to understand what could be setting that property.  Maybe it is an add-in or other solution.  If anyone sees the message header being added and knows what it setting it please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-27T16:24:04+00:00

    The export/import contact overwrite method worked for me. This still blows though. Now I have to perform this for every user in the domain. This is the kind of "work" that takes me away from my real IT duties.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-27T16:51:45+00:00

    Thanks for sharing the update.  I apologize for the overhead dealing with this issue.  The Outlook Team is working on a change to address the problem for most common cases.  We are anticipating the fix to go to Monthly Channel in the late March major update version 16.0.11425.xxxxx.  Semi Annual Channels will get it in the April Public Update.  Perpetual MSI versions of Outlook will get it in the May Public Update.  This is subject to change but looks fairly solid at this point.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-01T07:27:29+00:00

    Gabriel, thank you for your scripts. This solved the problem for us within minutes.

    We invested two full days of work investigating this problem, had three calls with the microsoft support that was totally clueless. They even told us, that not being able to edit the notes was on purpose because of european privacy laws??!!

    So finding qualified support here was very welcome and I wanted to thank you.

    Kind regards

    Wolfgang

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-01T07:50:37+00:00

    it works!!  ... don't fortget to press the save button ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments