Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Anonymous
2019-01-22T11:12:35+00:00

Hello,

I have the strange behaviour that I can't edit some of mine existing notes in my Contacts.

I have several existing contacts (View = Card but I dont think it matters, because in other view it also won't work) with some notes, sometimes I can edit the notes in a contact and there are other Contacts where I can't edit the notes. All the other fields I can edit.

Any idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-01T22:33:12+00:00

We posted a known issue article to track status, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-edit-the-notes-field-for-a-contact-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team found the root cause of the issue.  It has to do with the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.  The only workaround for existing contacts today is to use MFCMAPIto remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.

As part of the investigation the product team is trying to understand what could be setting that property.  Maybe it is an add-in or other solution.  If anyone sees the message header being added and knows what it setting it please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-23T13:06:43+00:00

    Hi Gabriel,

    It looks like this issue is only with the Outlook client, it goes allright with webmail.

    Kind ragards,

    Bianca

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-25T23:28:47+00:00

    I am having the same problem. Some contact notes are editable and most are no longer editable although I see them.  In the Properties of each contact that is not editable, they have Internet Headers. The ones that are editable do not have anything in the Internet Headers. New contacts do not have this problem.

    I am using Office 365 (Ver MSO 16.0.11126.20234) 32-bit (Outlook 2016) on Windows 2010 Pro

    The first capture is of a contact that has editable notes. Notice the Ribbon has all of the Main Tabs shown that are selected in customizing ribbon. The second screen shot is of a contact that does not have editable notes. Notice the Ribbon tabs missing: Insert, Format Text, Review, and Main Menu, although they are selected Main Tabs in the customizing ribbon.

    <masked by moderator due to privacy>

    The key seems to be the records that don't allow the Contact notes to be edited have Internet Headers. All of the other fields are editable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-25T23:44:31+00:00

    Lynny,

    Can you post a picture example of the internet header?  I am not sure where that is appearing in order to try and repro it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-26T00:32:18+00:00

    Lynny,

    Can you post a picture example of the internet header?  I am not sure where that is appearing in order to try and repro it.

    Other things to add: 

    • The account that the Contacts are in is an Outlook Data File and is a .PST. There is no email account associated with this account. Not sure if that matters but it is not a MAPI account.
    • If I copy one of the Contacts whose notes cannot be edited to a MAPI account with a Contacts folder, the Contact stays not editable.
    • I am using Companion Link (DejaOffice) for syncing this account to DejaOffice Cloud. However, this is reproducible by copying an affected contact into any MAPI email Contacts folder, as mentioned above.
    • I checked the contacts data from the same Account on another Windows 10 Pro PC running version MSO (16.0.11126.20192) 64-bit and there are no problems with editing any of the Contact's notes.

    Contacts unable to edit notes

    Contacts able to edit notes

    Internet Headers Contents from first internet headers photo:

    Return-Receipt-To: "Lynny Moore" <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

    From: "Lynny Moore" <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

    Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?#PMT_-_Make_a_Payment?=

    Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 08:48:01 -0500

    Keywords: Suppliers

    Message-ID: <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

    MIME-Version: 1.0

    Content-Type: multipart/mixed;

    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0B18_01D33729.309D5340"

    X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 15.0

    Thread-Index: AQHdfoPNDEC8KqwGY9u4f9ag5ZuLzA==

    Content-Language: en-us

    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: 000000000B2171****3061F32E4AA97A8B4EA97792B3

    Disposition-Notification-To: "Lynny Moore" <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments