Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Anonymous
2019-01-22T11:12:35+00:00

Hello,

I have the strange behaviour that I can't edit some of mine existing notes in my Contacts.

I have several existing contacts (View = Card but I dont think it matters, because in other view it also won't work) with some notes, sometimes I can edit the notes in a contact and there are other Contacts where I can't edit the notes. All the other fields I can edit.

Any idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-01T22:33:12+00:00

We posted a known issue article to track status, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-edit-the-notes-field-for-a-contact-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team found the root cause of the issue.  It has to do with the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.  The only workaround for existing contacts today is to use MFCMAPIto remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.

As part of the investigation the product team is trying to understand what could be setting that property.  Maybe it is an add-in or other solution.  If anyone sees the message header being added and knows what it setting it please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-02T18:54:53+00:00

    Before using office 365 we were using first Bynari insight server with outlook connector and after that Kolab with Bynari Connector.

    When migrating I just copied the contacts from the old Kolab-profile to the new Exchange-profile. I probably wouldnt have this problem if I had gone the export/import csv-file route.

    Now old contacts from the "Bynari-era"  has PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS set to  a bunch of Kolab- and connector related headers.

    As this is quite ancient it might not be that helpful for you but then why has it all of a sudden become a problem the last month or so?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-01T21:22:31+00:00

    We also have this problem.  To add to this issue, we cannot edit the notes area of calendar entries nor invite responses/reschedules.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-01T21:06:24+00:00

    We are having a similar editing problem with Contact cards in Outlook 2013. To be specific, the editing problem is in the notes section of the contacts. We are able to edit the various contact field for name, company, phone, etc.

    In our case the ribbon on the non-editable cards simply shows "FILE" and "CONTACT". We have not identified any pattern as to which cards are editable and which are not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-30T20:36:58+00:00

    The Outlook Team is still investigating the issue.  I'll post back as soon as we know next steps on either a fix or suggested workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments