Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Anonymous
2019-01-22T11:12:35+00:00

Hello,

I have the strange behaviour that I can't edit some of mine existing notes in my Contacts.

I have several existing contacts (View = Card but I dont think it matters, because in other view it also won't work) with some notes, sometimes I can edit the notes in a contact and there are other Contacts where I can't edit the notes. All the other fields I can edit.

Any idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-01T22:33:12+00:00

We posted a known issue article to track status, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-edit-the-notes-field-for-a-contact-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team found the root cause of the issue.  It has to do with the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.  The only workaround for existing contacts today is to use MFCMAPIto remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.

As part of the investigation the product team is trying to understand what could be setting that property.  Maybe it is an add-in or other solution.  If anyone sees the message header being added and knows what it setting it please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T18:55:38+00:00

    Thanks for sharing the update Janet.  We added that workaround to the known issue document too, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/unable-to-edit-contacts-appointments-meetings-or-tasks-within-outlook-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

    The latest update is that the fix for Outlook 2016 Monthly Channel is expected in late April.  Fixes for Semi Annual Channels and perpetual versions will release in the May timeframe.  In the meantime the workarounds are the suggest mitigation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-03T18:45:06+00:00

    I had exactly the same problem and was able to solve the problem quickly using the method suggested by Jeremy Robinson here:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice\_outlook-mso\_win10-mso\_o365b/cant-edit-the-notes-in-contacts-in-outlook-365/551cc77c-307d-4afe-aca6-905d90217020?page=2

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-01T15:17:11+00:00

    In analyzing my contacts that had Note fields which were uneditable, I found a consistent pattern. The ONLY records that had the issue were my oldest records. I have been using Outlook for my contacts for probably 25 years. Originally had a POP3 email account until we moved to an Exchange 2003 server. Have been in an Exchange environment ever since and are currently using Office 365 with Exchange Online. My unofficial interpretation is that my problematic records date back to my pre-Exchange period when I had a POP3 email account. Obviously a sample of one account does not mean this is the complete picture but maybe this can help identify the root cause.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-28T18:49:10+00:00

    Roxana,

    The Outlook Team had to pull the service side of the fix due to a worse bug and why you see the problem has returned.  I'll check with the team about the status and report back.  The original support notes are still posted if you can use the workarounds near term, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/unable-to-edit-contacts-appointments-meetings-or-tasks-within-outlook-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments