Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Anonymous
2019-01-22T11:12:35+00:00

Hello,

I have the strange behaviour that I can't edit some of mine existing notes in my Contacts.

I have several existing contacts (View = Card but I dont think it matters, because in other view it also won't work) with some notes, sometimes I can edit the notes in a contact and there are other Contacts where I can't edit the notes. All the other fields I can edit.

Any idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-01T22:33:12+00:00

We posted a known issue article to track status, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-edit-the-notes-field-for-a-contact-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team found the root cause of the issue.  It has to do with the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.  The only workaround for existing contacts today is to use MFCMAPIto remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.

As part of the investigation the product team is trying to understand what could be setting that property.  Maybe it is an add-in or other solution.  If anyone sees the message header being added and knows what it setting it please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-01T09:05:39+00:00

    Thank you. This update today (Ver1904 Build 11601.20144) seems to be having the desired effect. I have tested 6 of my 'old' contacts which were previously not editable. Now they can be edited and saved.

    Well done.

    Warren

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-04-30T19:14:25+00:00

    The build that is supposed to have the fix is now available for Monthly Channel, Version 1904 Build 11601.20144.  To install the update click File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now.  The fix for the other channels and for MSI/perpetual versions will follow soon in upcoming updates.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-04-29T20:40:03+00:00

    Thank you for sharing the findings.  The fix for Monthly Channel is expected to go out starting early this week.  You can check the Update History page to see exactly when it is released.  The Monthly Channel fixed build will be 16.0.11601.xxxxx.

    For the other subscription channels and for MSI/perpetual we will update this topic with the expected fix dates as soon as we get them, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/unable-to-edit-contacts-appointments-meetings-or-tasks-within-outlook-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-04-29T19:54:26+00:00

    Vipre was also used in my environment. The explanation in my earlier post is still true that all the records with issues were old, pre-Exchange records. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments