Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Anonymous
2019-01-22T11:12:35+00:00

Hello,

I have the strange behaviour that I can't edit some of mine existing notes in my Contacts.

I have several existing contacts (View = Card but I dont think it matters, because in other view it also won't work) with some notes, sometimes I can edit the notes in a contact and there are other Contacts where I can't edit the notes. All the other fields I can edit.

Any idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-01T22:33:12+00:00

We posted a known issue article to track status, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-edit-the-notes-field-for-a-contact-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team found the root cause of the issue.  It has to do with the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.  The only workaround for existing contacts today is to use MFCMAPIto remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.

As part of the investigation the product team is trying to understand what could be setting that property.  Maybe it is an add-in or other solution.  If anyone sees the message header being added and knows what it setting it please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-25T23:28:47+00:00

    I am having the same problem. Some contact notes are editable and most are no longer editable although I see them.  In the Properties of each contact that is not editable, they have Internet Headers. The ones that are editable do not have anything in the Internet Headers. New contacts do not have this problem.

    I am using Office 365 (Ver MSO 16.0.11126.20234) 32-bit (Outlook 2016) on Windows 2010 Pro

    The first capture is of a contact that has editable notes. Notice the Ribbon has all of the Main Tabs shown that are selected in customizing ribbon. The second screen shot is of a contact that does not have editable notes. Notice the Ribbon tabs missing: Insert, Format Text, Review, and Main Menu, although they are selected Main Tabs in the customizing ribbon.

    <masked by moderator due to privacy>

    The key seems to be the records that don't allow the Contact notes to be edited have Internet Headers. All of the other fields are editable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-23T13:06:43+00:00

    Hi Gabriel,

    It looks like this issue is only with the Outlook client, it goes allright with webmail.

    Kind ragards,

    Bianca

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-23T13:05:10+00:00

    Hi Shyamal,

    I use the latest Outlook version from Microsoft Office 365 Business, version 1812 (build 11126.20266, when I click on the "Info over Outlook" button I get the 16.0.11126.20234 build number).

    We are using Office 365 Exchange online.

    I don't receive any error, nothing happens when you want to edit a note of a contact.

    A workaround for this issue is to edit this note in webmail, this goes allrigth and after the editing you can see the new note in the Outlook client.

    So it looks like this issues is only related to the client and not to the webmail.

    Kind regards,

    Bianca

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-22T23:20:09+00:00

    The Outlook support team has gotten a couple cases with this issue.  We are just now investigating and have not gotten to a root cause yet.  

    If you have the In App support option please report this issue.  This will help us investigate it further. If you have it click the Help tab, Contact Support option if it is there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments