Can't edit the notes in Contacts in Outlook 365

Anonymous
2019-01-22T11:12:35+00:00

Hello,

I have the strange behaviour that I can't edit some of mine existing notes in my Contacts.

I have several existing contacts (View = Card but I dont think it matters, because in other view it also won't work) with some notes, sometimes I can edit the notes in a contact and there are other Contacts where I can't edit the notes. All the other fields I can edit.

Any idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-02-01T22:33:12+00:00

We posted a known issue article to track status, https://support.office.com/en-us/article/can-t-edit-the-notes-field-for-a-contact-fb8394ce-04ce-48b5-bae4-be46f77f10fe?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US.  

The Outlook Team found the root cause of the issue.  It has to do with the way Outlook handles that field if the contact has the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.  The only workaround for existing contacts today is to use MFCMAPIto remove the PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS property.

As part of the investigation the product team is trying to understand what could be setting that property.  Maybe it is an add-in or other solution.  If anyone sees the message header being added and knows what it setting it please let me know.

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-17T19:55:03+00:00

    Thanks - I submitted a support request as advised.  FYI, moving contacts from the public folder to the mailbox Contacts folder didn't make them editable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-09T22:08:33+00:00

    Dave, Zipper,

    I just tested this on Monthly Channel 11601.20144 and I can see it works for me in the Outlook core folders Contacts, Tasks, Calendar.  Just wanted to double check that the fix is still enabled at least to that degree.

    This issue came about due to a security change.  Originally all folders were blocked from edits.  The fix modified the original change slightly such that if the item type matches the type of item the folder contains then Outlook would not mark it as read only.  I am wondering if mail enabled public folders might be seen different by Outlook so it thinks its not a matching folder type?  Or, is it possible to somehow make the folder be of the type Outlook is expecting.  If I get a chance I will test this but something to look at in case it could help.

    If this is a hugely blocking issue for you please submit an In App ticket for us to follow up on.  To do that in Outlook click Help, Contact Support.  If its not there then you may need to put a machine on Insider or Monthly Channel Targeted to submit the ticket.  Longer term that option will be there for everyone but its rolling out at a managed pace right now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-09T20:08:35+00:00

    Running a local install of O365 and Outlook is at 1904-11601.20144.  Unfortunately, still unable to update the Notes section of a number of records.  I'll look to complete the Export/Import method or use OutlookSpy to resolve.  Thank you.  Zipper

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-08T19:27:47+00:00

    I have upgraded to 1904 Build 11601-20144, but still cannot edit the Notes fields in some contacts and calendar appointments.  Specifically, these are public folder Contacts, and appointments in a mail-enabled public folder calendar (it's Exchange 2010).  Is there something more I need to do to get this working?  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments