How can I clear email-address from Search field for Outlook People?

Anonymous
2019-08-06T18:11:57+00:00

I have sent/received a couple of emails to/from some people who are not in my Hotmail-People Contacts list (even those emails have been deleted a while ago). Now if I type their email address into People Search field - the email will show up there.

How can I clear this search cache, thus email-addresses (which are not in my Contacts and that does not have any corresponding emails anymore) will not show up in the Search?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Contacts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-24T05:33:31+00:00

     1. Click the New button to open a new message. 2. Type the first three character of the cached name into the To field to trigger the AutoComplete feature. 3. Press the Down Arrow key on your keyboard to highlight the name or email address you wanted to delete. 4. Press Shift + Delete on your keyboard to remove it.

    I think that is exactly what I wrote ... lol

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-23T15:58:37+00:00
    1. Click the New button to open a new message. 2. Type the first three character of the cached name into the To field to trigger the AutoComplete feature. 3. Press the Down Arrow key on your keyboard to highlight the name or email address you wanted to delete. 4. Press Shift + Delete on your keyboard to remove it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-16T08:13:35+00:00

    Enter the first three letters and the auto complete list should appear then either press the down arrow to highlight the email address then press the delete key or click on the email address in the list and select the x to delete

    As others have already stated, the above suggestions only temporarily remove the name from the list. The name returns when you do a new search.

    The solution I have found, that seems to work so far is not to click on the X, but to use the keyboard.

    Move up and down the list with the keyboard arrows, and when the name you want to remove is highlighted, press the shift+delete keys simultaneously.

    I hope this helps the many people who have the same problem, especially since no Microsoft employee has given a better solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-30T12:48:53+00:00

    Thank You

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-11-29T22:57:37+00:00

    I tried most of this but  i can not solve the problem... 

    At the end i try and solved it by myself.

    This is my way to do it...

    Problem: Trying to delete a mail adress from the Hotmail(Outlook) auto complete list.

    Solution: First, add the adress(the one that appears automaticaly)  to your adressbook.

    And then go to your adressbook find it and delete it. 

    Thats all...

    Thanks alpergurdal,

    This method did seem to work for me now after doing about a dozen names/emails. So far I had two that this method didn't work for. The added twist/fix:

    For those email addresses that were stubborn and wouldn't disappear (even after purposely adding then deleting the contact), I searched for and deleted the email associated with it or from whom it was sent. This was generally pretty easy and usually had a business attached to it. I think combining these two methods (thanks to alpergurdal for the first method) should work...but unless there is a more straightforward way this is really tedious and anyone should set aside some time. 

    Also...I have a feeling there is nothing keeping this from reoccurring as you get more emails/spam, etc if that is truly where Hotmail/Outlook is pulling the email addresses. Very frustrating. Stay tuned...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments