Outlook for Mac can't drag emails to folder with Gmail

Anonymous
2018-12-05T13:41:00+00:00

I'm using Outlook for Mac with office 365, version 16.20, 181202.

I have an outlook.com and gmail account. I'm able to drag emails into folders on the left sidebar with my outlook.com email, however I'm no longer able to do this with my Gmail accounts with the latest update (just got the new UI). Is this a bug or new intended behaviour?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-12-06T17:05:23+00:00

Corentin, you may want to actually check the product before making those conclusions. As I mentioned in my message, until the recent update, I had been able to do this for months with this account.

I have contacted the support team within Outlook. For anyone else facing this issue, turns out they are aware of the issue a fix should be on the way.

I've used the product for quite some time… I've been an MVP for Office for Mac since 2002. I'm not a paid contractor doing this on the sideline and I did check Outlook.

You'll see that there are other threads mentioning the same issues on the forum.

Up until recently, Outlook used to connect through IMAP and you were then just fine moving emails around in folders. A somewhat recent change brought OAuth support as well as calendar and contact syncing (requires a license through subscription or a perpetual license for Office 2019, not 2016). Since then, users have been enable to rename the Gmail folder, or move emails to the folders.

Microsoft is indeed aware of the limitation and they are indeed very likely to be working on implementing a better support for the folders for Gmail and Gmail-based accounts. You'll notice that this is also what's implied in Alan's reply to your original post.

Corentin

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-28T18:08:26+00:00

    Alright.  To make sure I understand, the automated process that selects iMAP when adding the Gmail Account to the MAC Outlook application is different than setting the account manually.  Is that correct?  If I do ensure the parameters are set properly do I need to remove the "automated" version first and then manually add the Gmail account?

    Hope that follow up questions makes sense.

    Thanks in advance.

    Adam

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-28T18:13:12+00:00

    Corentin.

    I attempted to "add" the gmail account manually but the Mac Outlook interface doesn't provide that option instead it forces me to go through the automated process detailed here:  

    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-an-email-account-to-outlook-6e27792a-9267-4aa4-8bb6-c84ef146101b

    I cannot find anyway to edit the account once it's established but will keep looking for the back door.

    Adam

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-28T19:50:24+00:00

    Thanks C!

    I did resolve the one issue, [email drag and drop across accounts] by removing my Outlook Profile and creating a new one.  Evidently it was "corrupt".

    Looking forward to being able to rename within the Outlook APP in the future.

    Thanks again.

    Adam

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-28T20:28:01+00:00

    Yeah, the newer versions of Outlook make it complicated.

    When you add a new account, type in some gibberish

    Then select IMAP in the next window

    And edit the details to add your Gmail account with the proper information for the Gmail IMAP server.

    Corentin

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments