Outlook for Mac can't drag emails to folder with Gmail

Anonymous
2018-12-05T13:41:00+00:00

I'm using Outlook for Mac with office 365, version 16.20, 181202.

I have an outlook.com and gmail account. I'm able to drag emails into folders on the left sidebar with my outlook.com email, however I'm no longer able to do this with my Gmail accounts with the latest update (just got the new UI). Is this a bug or new intended behaviour?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-12-06T17:05:23+00:00

Corentin, you may want to actually check the product before making those conclusions. As I mentioned in my message, until the recent update, I had been able to do this for months with this account.

I have contacted the support team within Outlook. For anyone else facing this issue, turns out they are aware of the issue a fix should be on the way.

I've used the product for quite some time… I've been an MVP for Office for Mac since 2002. I'm not a paid contractor doing this on the sideline and I did check Outlook.

You'll see that there are other threads mentioning the same issues on the forum.

Up until recently, Outlook used to connect through IMAP and you were then just fine moving emails around in folders. A somewhat recent change brought OAuth support as well as calendar and contact syncing (requires a license through subscription or a perpetual license for Office 2019, not 2016). Since then, users have been enable to rename the Gmail folder, or move emails to the folders.

Microsoft is indeed aware of the limitation and they are indeed very likely to be working on implementing a better support for the folders for Gmail and Gmail-based accounts. You'll notice that this is also what's implied in Alan's reply to your original post.

Corentin

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-24T19:07:42+00:00

    This worked, thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-18T20:59:16+00:00

    Yep, that worked for me too. The update fixed it. Thanks, Microsoft :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-17T21:28:15+00:00

    Thank you so much, where did you get the update? I am not seeing it as an option in my settings or App store yet? Thanks!

    The update did fix the issue for me.  CKL, is auto-update turned on for Office? I got notification  for the update from there rather than OSX.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-17T17:43:40+00:00

    Thank you so much, where did you get the update? I am not seeing it as an option in my settings or App store yet? Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments