Outlook for Mac can't drag emails to folder with Gmail

Anonymous
2018-12-05T13:41:00+00:00

I'm using Outlook for Mac with office 365, version 16.20, 181202.

I have an outlook.com and gmail account. I'm able to drag emails into folders on the left sidebar with my outlook.com email, however I'm no longer able to do this with my Gmail accounts with the latest update (just got the new UI). Is this a bug or new intended behaviour?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-12-06T17:05:23+00:00

Corentin, you may want to actually check the product before making those conclusions. As I mentioned in my message, until the recent update, I had been able to do this for months with this account.

I have contacted the support team within Outlook. For anyone else facing this issue, turns out they are aware of the issue a fix should be on the way.

I've used the product for quite some time… I've been an MVP for Office for Mac since 2002. I'm not a paid contractor doing this on the sideline and I did check Outlook.

You'll see that there are other threads mentioning the same issues on the forum.

Up until recently, Outlook used to connect through IMAP and you were then just fine moving emails around in folders. A somewhat recent change brought OAuth support as well as calendar and contact syncing (requires a license through subscription or a perpetual license for Office 2019, not 2016). Since then, users have been enable to rename the Gmail folder, or move emails to the folders.

Microsoft is indeed aware of the limitation and they are indeed very likely to be working on implementing a better support for the folders for Gmail and Gmail-based accounts. You'll notice that this is also what's implied in Alan's reply to your original post.

Corentin

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-28T15:32:53+00:00

    So, why did this feature disappear and when will it be reinstated?

    It disappeared because MS migrated to a new scheme for Gmail connections. The new schemes improved a lot of things and allowed for better integration, but MS hasn't solved the way to manage folders yet.

    When will it be re-implemented? Only MS knowns… And they haven't made any announcements.

    Corentin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-28T05:56:43+00:00

    As i understood from this thread there is a difference between gmail and gmail as imap.

    It now supports gmail in full. But with limitations as you noted.

    Set the gmail account manually as imap and you will be able to move mail and rename folders. Drag and drop from local to imap, etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-27T22:29:49+00:00

    This behavior changed in the last year.  Prior to some change, I could drag and drop any Gmail Email to another account (365 or other).  In addition, I could "rename" a folder and it would be reflected as "re-labeled" in Gmail respectively.  Now, I can't do either.  It essentially breaks my purpose as a business user using MAC Oultook.  I hope MS will resolve this issue post haste.  It worked before.  Also, speaking with Google support, they claim they've done nothing to prevent what was once normal activity.  Outlook engineer team seems to be at fault here.  Whether by design or accident.

    Adam

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-05-27T22:25:05+00:00

    Cortig et all,

    I am a business contract user for Office365.

    So I have the same issue and question in this thread.  2018 behavior and 2019 MAC Outlook behavior changed and I want to know why and when it will be resolved.

    In MAC Outlook 16.25 I used to be able to move items and even re-label/re-name/edit folders.  In addition, and more importantly, I could drag and drop emails from one account to another (ex. Drag Gmail Inbox items 1-5 from Gmail to Office365 Inbox).  Since some update in 2019 from Microsoft, I have lost the ability to do either.  That is irrational.  Google Gmail support says they've done nothing to change the way in which MAC Outlook operates about this nor do they have any reason not to allow it in the iMAP condition.  So, why did this feature disappear and when will it be reinstated?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments