Outlook.com contacts not syncing to iPhone (but calendar and e-mail are)

Anonymous
2017-05-06T16:45:51+00:00

Hoping someone can help.

THE ISSUE: My new iPhone 7 isn't pulling in my contacts into the Phone >Contacts app (the stock iPhone contacts app) from Outlook.com. It's strange because both my e-mail and calendar from Outlook.com are syncing properly.

WHAT I'VE TRIED:

* I've removed the Outlook.com account and readded.  Still nothing.

* I've unchecked the "contacts" toggle and retoggled it back on. It says it's syncing, but the contacts are not there.

* Downloaded the Outlook app from the App Store. Confirmed the Contacts show up.

* Gone to Outlook.com and OPtions>General and confirmed the iPhone is in the Devices area.  Status is "OK"

Any thing else to try?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Contacts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-02-12T18:16:57+00:00

    I tried a lot of things that the other posts suggest without success.  I don't usually sync my mail to the Apple mail app I just sync my contacts.  But I decided to check to see if at least the mail would show up.  I noted that only one message was showing up, and it was a message with a link to complete the process of syncing my outlook.com mail with my iPhone.  Oddly this email was not appearing on the outlook.com web app.  However, when I clicked the link to allow the syncing to continue (I think the button said that I prefer not to use the Outlook app for iPhone, which I do actually use) then all of my contacts showed up.  As a side note my Outlook app for iPhone is still working just fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-03T22:28:20+00:00

    Thank you very much for this. This is indeed the steps that worked for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-01-31T04:06:44+00:00

    What if my device is suddenly showing as quarantined?

    It was working perfectly fine before?

    I see that the Access state is set to quarantined by default. When Outlook account is added to iPhone, an email is sent by Outlook recommending to use MS Outlook app for iPhone. One has to explicitly click to use "Use default App" to let the Access State change from Quarantined to "Access Granted". 

    Thank you so much for this info... I have spent hours playing with the phone, installing, uninstalling, deleting accounts, adding accounts, trying everything on the web I could find... and then did this.

    It changed to access granted and all my contacts finally came through!

    So frustrating!.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T21:47:03+00:00

    Eureka!

    After wasting HOURS, and no reply from MSFT technical support, this worked for me:

    1. Login to outlook.live.com
    2. Settings (gear) > Options > General > Mobile Devices
    3. Select iPhone and REMOVE ("-" icon)
    4. Power off iPhone
    5. Power on iPhone - device should attempt to re-register with Microsoft
    6. Look for email with subject, "ACTION REQUIRED TO SYNC EMAIL"
    7. Click "Continue using this email app"

    This should open default web browser, and display a success message:

    "We've noted that you'd prefer not to use the Outlook Mobile app.  Outlook.com will resume syncing with your device."

    Go back to screen from #2, and click the pencil icon for device details. 

    Look for -- Access state: Access granted

    Note to MSFT:  I want the option to use EITHER built-in iOS contacts/mail/etc. and/or your Outlook app.

    (However, my companies MDM Mobile Iron software will not permit the use at this time!)

    Until I did this, none of the SYNC emails from Microsoft had usable URLs and device remained Quarantined.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-01-20T21:14:18+00:00

    What if my device is suddenly showing as quarantined?

    It was working perfectly fine before?

    I see that the Access state is set to quarantined by default. When Outlook account is added to iPhone, an email is sent by Outlook recommending to use MS Outlook app for iPhone. One has to explicitly click to use "Use default App" to let the Access State change from Quarantined to "Access Granted". 

    I did receive such and email, but the link in the email doesn't work.  Page eventually renders, and says:

    Something went wrong

    We couldn't complete your request. Please refresh this page so we can sync your Outlook.com email with your device.

    Thank you,

    The Outlook Team

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments