Unable to connect IMAP account to Outlook for iOS8

Anonymous
2015-07-28T22:44:23+00:00

I have installed the Outlook app on an iPad and iPhone with the latest iOS8. I have an IMAP email account but the app is unable to connect to it. 

The native iOS email client on both devices will connect to this IMAP account OK.  But when I enter the same settings in the Outlook app's Advanced Settings entry screen (which are the server, etc. settings provided by my ISP), it comes back with a message that it cannot connect.

I note that the entry screens in the current Outlook app differ from those shown in the relevant Office365 knowledge base article here:

https://support.office.com/en-au/article/Set-up-email-on-iPhone-iPad-or-iPod-Touch-b2de2161-cc1d-49ef-9ef9-81acd1c8e234?ui=en-US&rs=en-AU&ad=AU&fromAR=1#BKMK\_IMAPorPOP

The article shows screenshots with options to select/deselect SSL and enter port numbers. These options don't appear when I use the IMAP setup option in Outlook for iOS. 

Note that when iOS makes the connection, it does not use SSL or ask for port numbers. These parameters can only be accessed via the advanced account settings for the account AFTER the device has added the account.

I should add that I also have an Exchange email account, which can be set up in both the iOS email client and the iOS Outlook app without difficulty. 

And also that the Outlook app exhibits the same behaviour on Android - i.e. the Android email client lets me set up the IMAP account but Outlook for Android is unable to connect.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for iOS | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-14T12:43:53+00:00

    I am in the same boat.

    iOS 9.2 all accounts are working except for manually setting up the IMAP account.

    " : " works from my keyboard, so mail.server.com:993 I can type but it won't set it up successfully

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-06T23:38:18+00:00

    I am having the same issue as well. I have tried the SSL :993 as well as the non SSL :143 options but neither work. I get an "Unable to log in Secure connection unavailable. Would you like to login in anyway?" error message, and if I press "Login" again, it tries, and comes back with the same error message. Any help would be really appreciated. BTW, the : is available on the keyboard for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T08:23:22+00:00

    You can add a port by entering in a server in this format:

    mail.server.com:993

    Note that the keyboard doesn't allow you to type in a ":" via the app input.

    I had to copy and paste the ":" char from another app (i.e. Safari) to insert the character in...but it worked.

    Hope this helps someone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-01-05T01:41:58+00:00

    I suppose this still has no solution, when can we expect to be able to use Outlook with any IMAP account?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more