Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T16:43:55+00:00

    I'm ashamed to admit that don't recall what version of Office 365 I am using.  

    I also do not know what  version of OneDrive I am linked to.  

    If you can tell me how to check, I will let you know a.s.a.p.

    -Marc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T17:05:40+00:00

    Thanks. These details are sufficient for me to move forward. Got an update from Leonid via PM that he is on O365 Home. This issue is affecting both O365 Consumer and Business users running a certain version of Outlook client using OneDrive/OneDrive for Business.

    I have reported this to the related team. There is no action item required from customers for now. Any customers who are having the same issue, I would suggest that you subscribe to this thread and vote for "Me Too". Let's keep this thread clean for other affected user to easily identify the right information. I will post back in the next 24 hours or earlier once I got an update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T19:27:51+00:00

    Hi.  I'm not sure what you guys did, but I'm suddenly not experiencing the problem anymore.

    I can now attach files to e-mail directly from the PC just like I was able to do prior to yesterday morning.

    Things are back to normal for me.

    If the problem reoccurs, I'll be sure to let you know.

    Thanks,

    Marc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T20:09:16+00:00

    Hi Marc,

    What fixed it for me was doing a quick repair of office. 

    Hope that helps. 

    PS: Microsoft...wth?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments