Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T16:06:36+00:00

    I have the same problem, again since yesterday. My version number is showing as 16.0.7070.2026. Adding to the problem, sometimes Outlook reports "File not found" when I try to select "Attach a copy", and on a non-Microsoft Exchange account the attachment doesn't work at all - it brings up a strange pop-up offering to attach a link in the email text and won't allow selection of any other option.

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T16:13:05+00:00

    Hi Marc,

    I believe we are talking about the same topic.

    The reason why the issue was reported & voted on uservoice since Nov 2015, I believe it was because those affected were (and still are) using First Release.

    The behavior is the same - when we click "Attach File" and select the files in Outlook (even though the files are stored in local copy of OneDrive) Outlook will attach it as link. (i.e. with the keyword "Recipient can edit"

    The workaround identified so far are:

    1. Right click on the attached 'file', select "Send as Copy"
    2. Copy from File Explorer and paste in Outlook
    3. Manually customise the Outlook ribbon to add an Outlook 2013-style "Attach File" button that will have a File Dialog pop up, when clicked.

    I can only take another wild guess that, this issue has occurred ever since the July update to the public, which brought this very much unwanted feature from First Release to the Stable release.

    Let's hope Microsoft can look into this seriously, this time. (I hope we don't need to wait for Anniversary Update on this, i.e. Nov 2016, a year since it was reported on uservoice)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T16:22:59+00:00

    Hi everyone,

    While we are working on identifying the cause of this issue, please help to identify the 2 items below.

    1. Everyone are using either Office 365 Home/Personal plan? Any Office 365 Business subscription customer affected here?
    2. The OneDrive that being mentioned here is the consumer version of OneDrive? (*Note: If this is affecting OneDrive for Business, please let me know here)

    The request for above information will help us to move forward to the right direction in solving this.

    Thanks,

    Chee Loon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T16:38:50+00:00

    Hi Chee Loon,

    1. My company is using Office 365 E3
    2. and using the Outlook 2016 (16.0.7167.2026) & OneDrive for Business from the E3 subscription.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments