Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T15:11:43+00:00

    Sorry, no idea what that is and I have no interest in temporary solutions or messing around with my machine. I am not messaging anymore as I have too much to do I'm afraid, I can't just keep messaging back and forth on here. Can you just let us know when you have implemented a solution. 

    End of my contributions. 

    Thanks 

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T15:24:44+00:00

    Just wanted to add that after reading Richard's message, I saw that he is now running a later version of Outlook than I was.   So I checked the updates and saw that one was available.

    I am now running Outlook 2016 version 16.0.7070.2033

    The same problem I described above is occurring however.   Nothing has changed.

    As for a temporary run around this problem, as I posted earlier, after the One Drive file has attached itself to your e-mail, you can right click it and choose "copy file" it will then download the One Drive file to your e-mail and be attached as a normal file rather than a One Drive link.   The recipient of the e-mail will never know that there was a problem.  

    However, as I said earlier, this is just a temporary solution for our clients.  It doesn't solve the actual problem which is that Outlook is not letting us attach files directly from our PC anymore.  This needs to be fixed.

    -Marc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T15:29:12+00:00

    Neo,

    I am using version 16.0.7167.2026 (First-release) but this is a behavior that started many months ago - you can see a lot of unhappy users + votes here, since November 2015: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273494-outlook-and-calendar/suggestions/10561662-allow-users-to-change-the-outlook-2016-attach-from

    Many have voted, maybe now it is the golden opportunity to fix it right.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T15:36:06+00:00

    IT Fellow -

    The issue described in the thread you linked, is NOT the same issue we are complaining about here.

    As I understand the issue identified in the linked thread, you are all complaining that the default when you attach a One Drive file is having the One Drive Link rather than a "Copy File" link.   While I agree that "Copy File" should be the default, that isn't the issue we are having.

    The issue we are having literally just started yesterday, August 3, 2016, and involves the fact that we used to be able to attach files directly from our PC's.   Now that ability has vanished and we are only able to attach from One Drive.

    -Marc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments