Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T11:24:38+00:00

    Hi All,

    Thanks for letting us know the issue you’ve been encountering. Now I would like to know the detailed behavior when the issue occurs. On your Outlook 2016, if you click the Attach File button (which shows the paperclip icon) when composing a new email, what will happen next? Can you see what it shows below?

    If not, can you please provide a screenshot of what you will see after clicking the Attach File button? This will help us identify the detailed symptom, and then we will help you with it.

    Thank you all for your efforts and patience!

    @ RichardMoore31, the “tenant information” Rick mentioned was for Office 365 users. According to your description, you are not an Office 365 user, right? Are you using simply Outlook 2016 integrated with the OneDrive desktop client? Please clarify.

    Best Regards,

    Allen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T10:47:16+00:00

    Rick

    No idea what you are talking about quite frankly, could you talk plain English please. What the **** is 'tenant information'?

    I am self-employed, working from home, with Windows 10 and One Drive and this problem has suddenly started occurring. Tell me, very simply, and not using IT technical language, exactly how you are going to fix it for me please. And quickly. Can you do that?

    Thank you!

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T10:32:07+00:00

    Hi All,

    We need tenant information from affected customers so we can escalate this issue to our Engineering team. If you are not a tenant administrator, either check with your workplace/school tech support team for updates on the status of your service or have them engage with us on this thread. Would you please let tenant administrators contact me via Private Messages to provide this information by clicking on the link below:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

    Thanks,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T09:54:29+00:00

    Having exactly the same problem all of a sudden. Looking at the dates of replies on this thread and another on the same subject, it has evidently only just started happening to us all. I was sending attachments up until yesterday without this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments