Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T13:05:28+00:00

    @Richard, Thanks for your sharing. That's very useful.

    @Everyone,  I highly suggest you post back with the Outlook version number. That's very important for us on troublshooting this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T12:43:01+00:00

    Allen

    Version number is 16.0.7070.2026

    I've no idea what recipients see but when I sent an attachment to another email address (gmail) to see what happened (as I was wondering the same as you), I could open the attachments ok but they were in a different OneDrive format than normal. OK though for the recipient to use and print off - though the only print option is full-page PDF.

    Richard 

    p.s. just installed an office update that I noticed waiting to be done and the version number is now 16.0.7070.2033. Attachments still showing as OneDrive attachments with cloud icon though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T11:50:25+00:00

    Hi Richard,

    Thanks for the updates. May I know the detailed version of your Outlook 2016? You can check it by clicking File -> Office Account and the version number will show under Office Updates on the right.

    Also, what will the email recipients see if you send them the files with the little cloud symbol you just described? Can they receive the correct files or just the OneDrive links?

    @ Everyone else, can you please also share your situation as Richard just did? Based on your previous descriptions, I think some of you are encountering some different symptoms

    Best Regards,

    Allen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T11:36:35+00:00

    Allen

    Thanks. 

    I am using Outlook 2016 for emails integrated with OneDrive and it has worked beautifully up until yesterday morning. 

    When you click on 'attach file', the drop down menu shows the documents you have recently been working with and the two browse options as above. Except now, all the docs have the little cloud symbol as in the excel example in your screenshot above. They used not to have that symbol as per the power point example in your screenshot above. Simple as that! 

    Please can you sort this as soon as possible, things like this shouldn't just change overnight when customers have doe nothing to instigate the changes. 

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments