Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T15:08:32+00:00

    Marc

    That is precisely the problem, beautifully described. Exactly the same for me! 

    Allen - it is clearly a problem at the Outlook/Microsoft Windows/OneDrive end of the chain and not to do with any of our individual machines.

    Thank you

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T14:59:34+00:00

    Allen -

    I've checked this morning and I am running version 16.0.7070.2026

    As for the issue at hand - and I was the originator of this thread -  screen shots would not be able to demonstrate the problem.   Essentially everything looks the exact way it does in the screen shot you posted.   When I go to attach a file to an e-mail via the paperclip, I choose the option of "Browse This PC".   I am then able to look through my PC files.   However when I actually select the file it shows up on the e-mail attachment as a One Drive file (with the little cloud over it) rather than the PC file it should be.

    Again, this was never an issue until yesterday morning.   I have not changed any aspect of how I attach files to e-mails.

    Sincerely,

    Marc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T14:56:53+00:00

    @Richard, Try to drop a file into a new email in Outlook client.  Let's see if it's temporary solution for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T14:53:18+00:00

    Microsoft have clearly done some sort of update to make this happen to so many people's machines all on the same day. Sadly, this is not the first time that I have turned on my machine to find problems out of nowhere that have clearly been caused at their end. This is just the latest in a series of frustrations.

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments