Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T22:55:10+00:00

    But I don't want to share a single version of documents or collaborate on it! I don't want anyone changing my files, or even having access to them. I just want to send them a copy, and if they change it then it won't affect me or my original file. Having someone else altering my files would be a disaster.

    Worse, the system you describe doesn't work: all the recipient gets when he receives the email is a link requiring him to log in to Sharepoint, and as he is not usually a Sharepoint user, he can't see the attachment at all!

    Having to go to each attachment manually and change it to a copy is time consuming and easy to forget, and there should be away to change the default. I never, ever want to do anything other than send a copy.

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T22:45:33+00:00

    I am on Office 365 Business Premium and using OneDrive for Business.

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T22:43:44+00:00

    Hi Everyone,

    The setting for OneDrive files to be shared as cloud attachments by default has now been rolled back for customers. In order for the change to take effect, a restart to Desktop Outlook is required. Please try restarting and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments MRU in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

    OneDrive cloud attachments are there to promote collaboration by allowing users to share a single version of the document, automatically permissioned to their recipients without going to OneDrive. In general, if a user wants to send a copy of the cloud file instead, they can do so by selecting “Attach as copy” from the attachment context menu. This has always been available users. We do appreciate the feedback and are invested in improving the overall experience of sharing OneDrive files; expect to see further flexibility around setting default settings for OneDrive sharing in the upcoming year.

    Regards,

    Robert

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T21:35:18+00:00

    I think I am sorted too though one of the docs I worked on earlier today is still showing 'the cloud' icon. Otherwise, like Marc, we now seem to be back to PC files rather than OneDrive ones just like it was yesterday before this all kicked off. So thank you too and fingers crossed that is the end of the problem. 

    Richard

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments