Outlook suddenly taking all attachments from One Drive rather than from my PC

Anonymous
2016-08-03T21:19:57+00:00

For some reason my Outlook 2016 program has decided that whenever I want to attach a file to an e-mail, that it will pull that file from One Drive rather than from my PC.

It never did this until this morning and it is driving me nuts.  When I send an attachment, I want the attachment to be drawn directly from my PC not from One Drive.    

I called up my Office 365 rep and he told me that I should unsynch the folder which I am pulling the attachment from.  That way, it can only take from the PC.    Ok, that doesn't resolve the problem however because if I do that, I'm no longer backing up files on to One Drive.

I want to be able to back up everything to One Drive, but when I send an attachment via e-mail, I don't want the recipient to have to access that file through One Drive.    They should just be able to open the attachment directly.

Again, this was never an issue until this morning.   I have to assume I flipped a toggle on Outlook that is preventing it from adding attachments directly from the PC, but I can't figure out what I did.

Can anyone assist?

Sincerely,

Marc

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-08-05T01:44:45+00:00

Hi everyone,

I got the information from our Outlook team that the issue has been resolved several hours ago. In order for the change to take effect, please restart Outlook 2016, and you should go back to the original experience of seeing both a local copy of your OneDrive file in the Attachments menu, in addition to the cloud link, allowing you to select how you prefer sending your OneDrive file.

If you still have the problem after restarting , feel free to let us know by posting a new thread. I will be closing this thread for further posting in order for affected users to easily identify this message.

More information you can see here.

Best Regards,

Neo Zhu

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T08:29:07+00:00

    Dear all,

    Kindly please help to vote in this link also: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273494-outlook-and-calendar/suggestions/10561662-allow-users-to-change-the-outlook-2016-attach-from

    This 'feature' has been available since months ago (since I am the First-release user) and I can say that it does more damage than good (while good being that it seems to be an easier way to attach 'recent files')

    So yes, please help yourself by putting the votes and comment there: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273494-outlook-and-calendar/suggestions/10561662-allow-users-to-change-the-outlook-2016-attach-from

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-08-04T06:55:21+00:00

    Hi Marc & LeonidVekslin,

    I cannot reproduce this issue on Win 10 and Win 8. When composing a message and attaching a file, I can choose where the file is from.

     

    Can you share any screenshots about this symptom?

    @ LeonidVekslin I’m wondering if you can duplicate the same issue after creating a new profile.  Besides, can you provide the SR number for further investigation? I have left a private message for you to collect the number and you can access it via this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list  .

    To troubleshoot this issue, I’d like to confirm more information below:

    1. Detailed version of Outlook client and OS.
    2. Does this issue occur in OWA (Outlook for Web App) when sending an email with an attachment?

    Thanks,

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-08-03T23:58:27+00:00

    They un-synced my OneDrive, deleted the local drive, downloaded again - still does not work.  Then we got disconnected, so I am trying to re-connect.  I am really upset now.  I am glad you were able to find a workaround, but it's just a hassle to do this every time I need to send an attachment.  They need to fix it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-08-03T23:20:01+00:00

    If they aren't able to fix it, I was able to find a trick to over come the problem from the e-mail recipient's perspective.

    When you select a file to attach, after it attaches, right click the attachment.   In the options screen, there will be a choice for "attach as copy".

    If you select that, the attachment will change from being the One Drive file to just being a copy of the file.  (it takes a second to download the file to make the copy)

    When you send the e-mail, the recipient will receive the actual file and be able to open it without needing to access your One Drive account.  They will never know that it was annoying for you to send it to them.

    Again, this doesn't really solve the problem, because Outlook is still pulling from One Drive rather than your PC, and it involves you having to take an extra step every time you want to send an e-mail, but at least the recipient will be none the wiser and not suffer any inconvenience.

    So that resolves things from my client's perspective .... now the annoyance to me just needs to be dealt with!  :)

    -Marc

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments