Duplicate Contacts issue on Outlook.com

Anonymous
2016-03-01T18:24:14+00:00

I am struggling with this issue since I switched from Gmail to Outlook. I exported Gmail contacts to .csv file and imported into Outlook.com account. MS Outlook 2016 (on both PC and Mac) and also on iPhone have no contacts. I wanted to sync all three device with Outlook.com server and get contacts from there. However due to unknown reasons when sync happens, I see that there are up to 9 duplicate contacts on Outlook.com contact list. Sometimes they appear as linked and sometimes separate. 

Initially I though issue is related to Sync with iPhone and MS Outlook 2016. However then I deleted all contacts from Outlook.com account and all devices and also stopped all sort of sync with iPhone, PC and iMac. Now there is no contact on any of device. Then I uploaded .csv file exported from Gmail to outlook.com account. This .csv file have 179 rows with 179 contacts. Here is what happened: I see 50 contacts appeared twice on Outlook.com People account. Rest (179-50) contacts appeared once but there are two linked contacts on each card with once exception which has 3 links. When I click on "Links" on outlook.com account, first link shows "Outlook-(contacts)" and second link shows "Outlook-(My contacts). I checked .csv file and I see last column "Categories" is filled with "My contacts" all the way. 

Next, I clicked Manage-->Clean up contacts to merge those duplicates and to my surprise many contacts are appearing up to 9 times in match list. That means somewhere inside the outlook.com contacts are listed up to 9 times.

It seems problem may be related to Outlook.com as now none of device is syncing back to Outlook.com account.

Then I tried one more thing:

I deleted all contacts from Outlook.com account and added two contact manually to Outlook.com contact list. To my surprise in few minutes, one contact was duplicated automatically. I also observed that even though I have deleted all contacts from Outlook.com (I have 0 contacts now), when I press Manage--->Clean up contacts, it shows hundreds of contacts are still there and there are lots of duplicates suggesting to merge! This is probably the root cause of issue. In spite of deleting everything from Outlook.com contacts, Contacts are retained somewhere on Outlook.com and when I add new contact, they merge and create duplicates.

On Outlook.com People page, I clicked Manage--> Restore deleted contacts. And, it showed that "you have 4539 contacts that can be restored". These are mainly same contacts which are inside .csv file I am trying to import appearing multiple times in deletion log. Is it possible that these deleted contacts residing somewhere inside Outlook.com are syncing back and merging back when I add same contacts via .csv file or manually?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Contacts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-07T21:14:40+00:00

    Last week, I deleted all contacts from outlook.com as I was tired to see those duplicates. I was happy with no contacts for last few days. But today suddenly I see hundreds of contacts uploaded automatically and everything is duplicated 10 times in my People contact list on outlook.com came from nowhere???? I do not even now have control over my contact list!

    Great job Microsoft Outlook.com team!!!! Keep bugging and infuriating us till we completely delete the account !!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-03-16T02:36:08+00:00

    Has anyone reading this tried phoning Microsoft support to open a formal defect report? 

    At this point (my outlook.com contacts just got duplicated once again) I don't think there is anything else I can try or do to make this problem go away ... someone in MS's cloud is going to have to figure out what's wrong.

    So if no one else has tried phoning, when I get some time I will do it.

    Dave Ings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-03-16T02:54:24+00:00

    I have tried chat support and they couldn't fix it. I also left feedback to Microsoft regarding this issue. Since I neither get any resolution nor any status update on this forum from Microsoft, I finally gave up and made switch to Gmail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-17T16:51:22+00:00

    I am curious if there has been any progress made on the due diligence and remediation of this problem. I have 241 contacts in my Outlook.com account. I use Mac Outlook 2016 as well. I have had the duplicate issues problem occur on a regular basis. The other day I gave my Microsoft account one last chance. I had 241 contacts in my outlook app and 241 in my Web display. This morning I had over 5000 contacts with numerous copies of each contact (well do the math if I only have 241 and there were over 5000...)

    I have done extensive research and see many have this issue and the response from Microsoft is the same regardless if from moderators or even the geeks at the Microsoft store. I do not have this problem with Google and their contacts DB. I hate to make my change permanent but this issue is ridiculous. The duplicates, the weird dates it enters on the contacts (1601), and the way it slices and dices the contact data over the many copies.

    4th down and long and I am about to punt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-04-18T00:32:25+00:00

    No updates that I'm aware of - I check about once a week. The problem still seems to exist - it reoccured for my spouse just today.

    I use iCloud for the master version of all my contacts, and import into outlook.com via Mac Outlook 2016. So while this is a very annoying problem, it's no longer critical for me.

    The MS support people are unable or unwilling to help - not clear which it is. It's pretty obvious (to anyone with a software background) that MS engineering needs to be engaged to fix this, but the support people seem unable to figure this out and take action.

    Dave Ings

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments