Outlook 2016 CPU usage running continuously at around 100%

Anonymous
2015-07-29T05:38:02+00:00

I recently purchased a Office 365 Business plan, and have installed the desktop Office 2016 apps. I am experiencing continuous high CPU utilization, causing the fan in my MacBook to run much of the time. Activity Monitor shows that Outlook is the culprit.

I have Outlook 15.11.2 and OS X 10.10.  I have one Exchange 2010 (SP2) accounts and two IMAP accounts. All are showing folders up to date, and mail is being sent & received normally.

I haven't noticed any issues with the other Office 2016 applications.

I have already tried creating a new identity and setting up accounts again from there (rather than importing from OUtlook 2011 which I did at first installation), but it did not help.

I have also installed the suite on my iMac, and experience the same issue there, so it is not specific to my laptop.

There is an earlier thread on this issue, started in 2014 and with posts up to mid July this year, with not a single response from MSFT. It is clear there is a bug here, as it stands I am going to have to abandon Outlook 2016 and revert to 2011, so if it can't be fixed I'd like a refund.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-03-14T12:50:52+00:00

I tried every option listed in this thread - to no avail.

What worked for me was to turn off Dictation:  (System Preferences\Accessibility\Dictation) 

As soon as I did that, the CPU use returned to normal instantly.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-11-21T12:33:48+00:00

    Still not fixed, as soon as I send an e-mail, CPU usage goes up so it must have something to do with the sending/name checking mechanism.

    Strange thing is that I have 2 corporate Exchange accounts, ONLY from one of those accounts, when sending an e-mail, the cpu goes up and stays up.

    Both accounts are configured the same way, using autodiscover.

    This is nasty, because on a similar mac, same os (sierra) and same Outlook version (15.28.1 - 161117) this problem does not appear!

    Need a MS developer to test things out on an affected machine, because removing rules, flags,profiles is not the answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-11-15T19:29:26+00:00

    Removing flags from emails dropped Outlook 2016 from continuously consuming at least 50% of an i7 core to being pretty much idle when I expect it to be.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-11-07T14:19:04+00:00

    removing the flags on older emails did the trick for me...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-07-19T23:13:29+00:00

    I have applied this fix and did not help.  Outlook sky rockets over 100% switching between email and calendaring and sometimes when just sitting idle.  

    In response to the Flagged Messages that seems to be working for everyone.  Are you removing the flags from the messages or completely removing the emails altogether?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments