Outlook 2016 CPU usage running continuously at around 100%

Anonymous
2015-07-29T05:38:02+00:00

I recently purchased a Office 365 Business plan, and have installed the desktop Office 2016 apps. I am experiencing continuous high CPU utilization, causing the fan in my MacBook to run much of the time. Activity Monitor shows that Outlook is the culprit.

I have Outlook 15.11.2 and OS X 10.10.  I have one Exchange 2010 (SP2) accounts and two IMAP accounts. All are showing folders up to date, and mail is being sent & received normally.

I haven't noticed any issues with the other Office 2016 applications.

I have already tried creating a new identity and setting up accounts again from there (rather than importing from OUtlook 2011 which I did at first installation), but it did not help.

I have also installed the suite on my iMac, and experience the same issue there, so it is not specific to my laptop.

There is an earlier thread on this issue, started in 2014 and with posts up to mid July this year, with not a single response from MSFT. It is clear there is a bug here, as it stands I am going to have to abandon Outlook 2016 and revert to 2011, so if it can't be fixed I'd like a refund.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-03-14T12:50:52+00:00

I tried every option listed in this thread - to no avail.

What worked for me was to turn off Dictation:  (System Preferences\Accessibility\Dictation) 

As soon as I did that, the CPU use returned to normal instantly.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2016-11-30T18:22:02+00:00

    Based on comments I've seen in other Q&A on this topic, I think Microsoft has figured out the cause and is planning to release a fix very soon. Fast Insiders will get it first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-11-30T13:09:18+00:00

    If I were a Microsoft developer and I couldn't reproduce this problem but wanted to get closer to solving it. . .I think I might be very interested in seeing the thread stack of the active thread.  On Windows, I'd do this with Process Explorer (procexp.exe).  I have no idea how I'd go about this on OS X.  A little googling suggests this http://www.newosxbook.com/tools/procexp.html as a possibility, but that doesn't look like a program that's very friendly to a casual user.

    If a Mac user is experiencing this problem and can't make heads or tails of http://www.newosxbook.com/tools/procexp.html, they might want to find a friend, coworker or other resource that's geeky enough to take them through the process of snapshotting the thread stack.  And then post the results here.

    It's not going to solve the problem, but it's going to make it easier for someone else to solve the problem.  Might not help, but couldn't hurt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-11-30T11:38:16+00:00

    Have the same problem which almost making Outlook un-usable, sometimes my macbook can spike at over 80%

    Using MacBook Pro on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1 with Outlook 15.28.1 

    Have tried all the various suggestions on this forum and it has made no difference, it makes you think if they ever test any of this before releasing it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-11-28T09:47:04+00:00

    Precisely my experience! I am using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1

    Outlook 15.28.1

    And my usage show between 48-50% when outlook is just open but idle

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments