Outlook 2016 CPU usage running continuously at around 100%

Anonymous
2015-07-29T05:38:02+00:00

I recently purchased a Office 365 Business plan, and have installed the desktop Office 2016 apps. I am experiencing continuous high CPU utilization, causing the fan in my MacBook to run much of the time. Activity Monitor shows that Outlook is the culprit.

I have Outlook 15.11.2 and OS X 10.10.  I have one Exchange 2010 (SP2) accounts and two IMAP accounts. All are showing folders up to date, and mail is being sent & received normally.

I haven't noticed any issues with the other Office 2016 applications.

I have already tried creating a new identity and setting up accounts again from there (rather than importing from OUtlook 2011 which I did at first installation), but it did not help.

I have also installed the suite on my iMac, and experience the same issue there, so it is not specific to my laptop.

There is an earlier thread on this issue, started in 2014 and with posts up to mid July this year, with not a single response from MSFT. It is clear there is a bug here, as it stands I am going to have to abandon Outlook 2016 and revert to 2011, so if it can't be fixed I'd like a refund.

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-03-14T12:50:52+00:00

I tried every option listed in this thread - to no avail.

What worked for me was to turn off Dictation:  (System Preferences\Accessibility\Dictation) 

As soon as I did that, the CPU use returned to normal instantly.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-30T08:44:17+00:00

    I have the same problem.   I have lots of mail in Exchange, about 15GB, and a lot of messages, and a lot of folders.  The problem seems to be triggered when I do a big "cleanup", and remove messages from different mailboxes, or from a very big mailbox.  It takes a few days for it to either reindex, or to synchronize with Exchange, or something like that, because it does eventually stop.  I have sometimes seen it if I don't close Outlook gently.

    It would be great if this process could be made a lower priority background task, since using Outlook during this period is so painful, I switch to OWA.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-04T06:58:23+00:00

    I had same problem and struggled many times. Suddenly, CPU usage returned normal state when I removed all tasks set before. I don't know whether it is the crux of this problem, but all you guys could try it if no other better solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-15T22:04:34+00:00

    I'm using OL 2013....same problem.  I don't think it's a version problem  But I can say this problem just started for me about 3 weeks ago.  It literally brings my computer to a stop...sometimes 2-3 minutes.  I've tried all of the suggestions in this thread and another I ran across.  this is a real problem...there should be a solution out there.  Crossing my fingers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-06T16:06:58+00:00

    Same here with current version

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments