outlook 2016 on Mac - "Mailbox already exists" error.

Anonymous
2016-10-06T05:13:04+00:00

Error "mailbox already exists (0.000 + 0.000 secs)" - and outlook loses connection to IMAP server (shows empty account).

Then, either through manual intervention (clicking on another account and then coming back), or sometimes it just does it by itself, it "rediscovers" my IMAP mailbox and works OK... Until next time (falls over every ?? 30 minutes or so).

Using outlook 2016 on Mac, V15.26.1. This also happened on previous version.

Didnt used to be a problem. Just started about 2 weeks ago with no changes from my end that I am aware of!?! Upgraded to latest Version today. Made no difference.

Advice welcome!

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-05-31T10:18:13+00:00

    I also have encountered the same issue with the frequent "Error "mailbox already exists (0.000 + 0.000 secs)" - and Outlook losing connection to the IMAP server (shows empty account).

    Then, either through manual intervention (clicking on another account and then coming back), or sometimes it just does it by itself, it "rediscovers" my IMAP mailbox and works OK... Until next time (falls over every ?? 30 minutes or so).

    Using outlook 2016 on Mac V15.34, MAC OS (10.12.5).

    I had to bite the bullet and purchase an OLM to MBOX converter and am now happily using Mac Mail.

    Very disappointed in Microsoft on their local of resolution to this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-04-02T13:15:26+00:00

    I have used Outlook for decades, but this is intolerably. I concur, only solution is use Mac Mail, Microsoft doesn't have the time for this issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-09T03:58:37+00:00

    I've tried everything recommended short of reformatting my mac which I am not going to to. I've had it with outlook - on to Mac Mail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-02-27T06:59:01+00:00

    I just got a phone call a few days ago from Microsoft and they told me that the only thing left to do is to format my mac and re install every thing. they also mentioned that "they are not Apple and they can't help". I bout this product from Microsoft as far as I remember.

    What a great solution! NOT.

    I told theme that this is to far and they can't even promise that this help so there is no chance.

    Their answer was "We are sorry, this is the only solution and we never got any case like this before, you are the first one!" I told them to google up this issue and tell me again if I am the first.

    The answer was " We where glade to help you and after you format your mac please let us know and we will give you 3 months subscription for free".. thanks, it is very helpful to get this "free" subscription when your getting a not working product...

    I gave up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-02-20T01:57:49+00:00

    I concur.  The archive has not worked for me either.  Mac Mail might be the solution for this comcast account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments