Birthdays Disappearing From Outlook.com Calendar

Anonymous
2015-01-06T01:57:11+00:00

I have been having the same trouble with the Outlook.com birthday calendar that many users have reported.  I just wanted to add my findings to the discussion.  Here are some details that might be helpful

  1. All the contacts listed in "People" for which I know their birthday have their birthday listed as Other Information.  I only use month and day, not the year as I don't ask for this. (some people are sensitive about their age)
  2. In the past this has worked fine.
  3. Recently, about 2 months ago, I noted that birthdays had disappeared from the calendar.  I added back the missing birthdays and verified these against an address book I have for a card site I subscribe too.  Both the People listing and my card Address book were identical for people with birthdays
  4. I again discovered a problem beginning with January 2015.  All of the previous entries for that month were now gone!
  5. I checked through all months of the calendar and 37 of 47 birthday entries were now missing.
  6. I decided to re-enter every birthday manually, using by Clicking on "New" in the calendar display and selection "Birthday" from the drop down dialogue box.
  7. I manually re-entered all 47 birthdays that way.
  8. I verified each month after this was done and every birthday I entered was displayed.
  9. About an hour later I checked again and all the birthdays were there.
  10. Five hours later only 10 of the birthdays displayed.

11.I went back to the People option and decided to see what would happen if I elected to clean up contacts.

  1. For each of the people that I had manually entered a birthday, a second contact appeared in my People list, with only the name and the birthday.
  2. I elected not to clean up the contact list at this time
  3. I refreshed the birthday calendar three times.  On the second attempt to refresh, I removed the calendar item.  I was originally using the little birthday cake.
  4. The refresh had absolutely no effect on the calendar display.
  5. I am going to look back tomorrow and if the birthdays are still not displayed I will delete the birthday calendar and in three days I will recreate it to see if any of the birthdays sync from my people's list.  Before I do that I will delete the duplicate contact created by the manual addition of the birthdays that I did today.
  6. I only offer this information in an attempt to solve this bug.  Its obvious from the posts that many people are pretty ticked off by the lack of action in resolving this issue.
  7. Its rather sad that you can't rely on the outloook.com calendar any more.  If there has been a solution, I  would appreciate knowing it.
  8. FYI I do not use any social networking sites, so I have no other birthday data stored anywhere else.
Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Calendar

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T21:26:38+00:00

    Hi ,

    for me, the solution is even more difficult, because I can not reproduce the error.

    Perhaps, you can work around this issue by applying a second account, export the calendar from the main account, import into the new one. Dont link the second account with Skype, but share with the main account.

    Just an idea, I hope it works.

    Hi,

    has anyone tried this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T21:36:24+00:00

    No because it's pointless.

    If you read the experiences, you will know I deleted ALL the contacts, along with the birthday calendar, then added all the contacts again manually, created the birthday calendar from scratch, and still same problem, birthdays disappear eventually.

    If linked with Skype they simply turn into Skype contact birthdays instead of Outlook contact birthdays and never show again on Windows Phone, but show on Calendar on PC until synced with the WP device, then disappear all together, but only for the Skype contacts, at least in my case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T21:52:48+00:00

    Hi Ataemonus,

    thanks for your reply. But i mean a try with an second account to share contacts and calendar. Its not really the same. Not all accounts have this problem, may be that the second account works and you only have to share the account with your main account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-26T04:18:02+00:00

    Agreed, it is pointless.  Microsoft doesn't really care.  I've had this issue occurring intermittently for years.  The fact is that they have separate development teams working on similar products, but none of the products work well with each other and never will.  Remember the incompatibility with Tasks/To-Do lists for people who use Outlook (full version) on a PC, but also have a Windows Phone?  A similar issue happened with default appointment reminders not being respected between Windows Phone and the Outlook (desktop).   These issues went on for years, despite the numerous posts on these boards.  The Birthday glitch has always been there as well, and probably will for some time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-03-26T11:33:27+00:00

    So true.

    The Escalation Team or whatever they are called, who were given access to my account, never got back to me on these issues, or on any issues.

    Way to go Microsoft, keep up the "good" work and then wonder why Apple are posting world record earnings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments