Birthdays Disappearing From Outlook.com Calendar

Anonymous
2015-01-06T01:57:11+00:00

I have been having the same trouble with the Outlook.com birthday calendar that many users have reported.  I just wanted to add my findings to the discussion.  Here are some details that might be helpful

  1. All the contacts listed in "People" for which I know their birthday have their birthday listed as Other Information.  I only use month and day, not the year as I don't ask for this. (some people are sensitive about their age)
  2. In the past this has worked fine.
  3. Recently, about 2 months ago, I noted that birthdays had disappeared from the calendar.  I added back the missing birthdays and verified these against an address book I have for a card site I subscribe too.  Both the People listing and my card Address book were identical for people with birthdays
  4. I again discovered a problem beginning with January 2015.  All of the previous entries for that month were now gone!
  5. I checked through all months of the calendar and 37 of 47 birthday entries were now missing.
  6. I decided to re-enter every birthday manually, using by Clicking on "New" in the calendar display and selection "Birthday" from the drop down dialogue box.
  7. I manually re-entered all 47 birthdays that way.
  8. I verified each month after this was done and every birthday I entered was displayed.
  9. About an hour later I checked again and all the birthdays were there.
  10. Five hours later only 10 of the birthdays displayed.

11.I went back to the People option and decided to see what would happen if I elected to clean up contacts.

  1. For each of the people that I had manually entered a birthday, a second contact appeared in my People list, with only the name and the birthday.
  2. I elected not to clean up the contact list at this time
  3. I refreshed the birthday calendar three times.  On the second attempt to refresh, I removed the calendar item.  I was originally using the little birthday cake.
  4. The refresh had absolutely no effect on the calendar display.
  5. I am going to look back tomorrow and if the birthdays are still not displayed I will delete the birthday calendar and in three days I will recreate it to see if any of the birthdays sync from my people's list.  Before I do that I will delete the duplicate contact created by the manual addition of the birthdays that I did today.
  6. I only offer this information in an attempt to solve this bug.  Its obvious from the posts that many people are pretty ticked off by the lack of action in resolving this issue.
  7. Its rather sad that you can't rely on the outloook.com calendar any more.  If there has been a solution, I  would appreciate knowing it.
  8. FYI I do not use any social networking sites, so I have no other birthday data stored anywhere else.
Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Calendar

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-04T15:22:57+00:00

    I definitely would NOT use the Outlook Calendar, but it's the only option since I use a Windows Phone. Actually, to be honest, it's not the only solution, the other solution would be for me to actually remember all the birthdays :-)

    All I need the birthday notification for is to call those respective people on their birthdays and get them some sort of gift.

    Given that the phone I have with me all the time everywhere, having it notify me would have been the most convenient solution, but I guess MS does not want that, as they don't care how good their products are.

    No wonder the WP has a abysmal market share, as it's well deserved in some ways (though totally not deserved in many other ways, to be honest).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-07T20:35:44+00:00

    Hi ,

    for me, the solution is even more difficult, because I can not reproduce the error.

    Perhaps, you can work around this issue by applying a second account, export the calendar from the main account, import into the new one. Dont link the second account with Skype, but share with the main account.

    Just an idea, I hope it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T06:51:06+00:00

    I thought my problem would be solved

    • but it is not.

    Tomorrow have 2 contacts birthday - only 1 connection is displayed in the calendar. Both contacts I registered years ago. Both contacts were already there so when I put in front of the Birthday calendar in few weeks. That helped apparently only at the 2 contacts that I mentioned in the post of 12/01/2015.

    I deleted the Birthday calendar again, then I made it again. Without Success. Only 1 contact is listed in the calendar, the other contact no.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T16:54:32+00:00

    I'm not sure if my using the problem detecting software offered by Rohit is the cause, but birthdays are no longer disappearing.

    As an old programmer, I know how frustrating it is to track through thousands of lines of code to find out just where the problem is occurring. Which is why I cautiously agreed to use MS's debugging tools. The clarity and precision of the reports that others are posting here is also a big help. The fact that this has been "escalated" is a good sign - though a final resolution may not come quickly.

    I don't try to sync birthdays with contacts - just use the calendar to remember family birthdays.

    I hope the rest of you find a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-02-11T20:44:12+00:00

    I honestly doubt there is a solution, or if there is, I doubt it will ever be found.

    Once again I gave MS access to my account, once again they stopped any contacts by PM. That was 2-3 weeks ago. I detect a pattern here. They just act interested in the problem but once they clarify it's not user fault and the user gives them all the access, they disappear in the mist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments