Scheduling and managing events using Outlook.com calendar
This will be a long post, but again some marvelous things are happening with the birthday calendar. In the morning hours of Jan 9th, I began looking at the calendar again. At this point, I know that I had duplicate contacts that were created when I had gone back in December and entered several birthdays manually by going to the calendar hub and selecting the down arrow in the “new” tab. That allowed me to click on ‘birthday’ and then enter the person’s name and birthday information manually into the calendar. Unfortunately, if a record already exists in the People Hub for the person I was manually creating the birthday for, this manual input method created a second record in the People Hub with just the name and the birthday but without any e-mail address information. I had several of these to clean up. I went to the People Hub and clicked on the down arrow for the “Manage” Tab. This allowed me to select the “Clean up Contacts” option. All the duplicates are displayed and each record has a check mark in a box at the upper left. You have to be careful here, because the instruction is “Clear the Checkbox for any you don’t want to combine”. I have 4 contacts who do not have e-mail addresses, so I have given each one of them THE SAME e-mail address. It is actually one of my own out-look addresses that I reserve for special use. That way, I could put them in my card site address book and I would get a notification when their birthday came around and I would send them a regular ‘mailed’ card. To make things simple, I also used this e-mail address in their People Hub records. When these records come up in the “Clean Up Contacts” I leave their checkboxes alone, so they are never combined. Besides these 4 that I did not want to touch there **were 10 contact names whose records I did want to combine.**Nine of these individuals had only 2 records each, their original hub record and their new record from manual creation of the birthday in the calendar. One individual had 3 records. After I did the clean up process, I went back to the calendar and to my great surprise, all of the cleaned up records were now listed in the birthday calendar. I was stunned!
There was one other peculiar observation. When you first access the People Hub, you get information about social networks and skype. I use none of these, but the Hub would list 4 of my contacts found on skype. The person with the three records would always appear here, but after the cleanup, she no longer appeared as a person found on skype. Earlier that evening I had gone to one of my other out-look accounts that I never use for outgoing mail so it has no contacts in it. I decided to add all the contacts with birthdays because I was going to create a calendar in that account and see what happened. In that account this person is listed as being found on skype. I assume that when the records were combined, the skype information was somehow lost for my usual outlook account, the one where I have been having all the trouble with the birthday calendar. It still is not listed as a skype participant even today.
From this exercise I learned that out-look considers creating a birthday record manually as a new record. It apparently makes no comparison to an existing record even if the name and the birthday are identical. All the individuals for whom I created manual birthdays on the calendar already had birthday information in their people hub record. Apparently outlook considers records as possible duplicates only if they have the SAME E-Mail address. Stay tuned more results to come.