Birthdays Disappearing From Outlook.com Calendar

Anonymous
2015-01-06T01:57:11+00:00

I have been having the same trouble with the Outlook.com birthday calendar that many users have reported.  I just wanted to add my findings to the discussion.  Here are some details that might be helpful

  1. All the contacts listed in "People" for which I know their birthday have their birthday listed as Other Information.  I only use month and day, not the year as I don't ask for this. (some people are sensitive about their age)
  2. In the past this has worked fine.
  3. Recently, about 2 months ago, I noted that birthdays had disappeared from the calendar.  I added back the missing birthdays and verified these against an address book I have for a card site I subscribe too.  Both the People listing and my card Address book were identical for people with birthdays
  4. I again discovered a problem beginning with January 2015.  All of the previous entries for that month were now gone!
  5. I checked through all months of the calendar and 37 of 47 birthday entries were now missing.
  6. I decided to re-enter every birthday manually, using by Clicking on "New" in the calendar display and selection "Birthday" from the drop down dialogue box.
  7. I manually re-entered all 47 birthdays that way.
  8. I verified each month after this was done and every birthday I entered was displayed.
  9. About an hour later I checked again and all the birthdays were there.
  10. Five hours later only 10 of the birthdays displayed.

11.I went back to the People option and decided to see what would happen if I elected to clean up contacts.

  1. For each of the people that I had manually entered a birthday, a second contact appeared in my People list, with only the name and the birthday.
  2. I elected not to clean up the contact list at this time
  3. I refreshed the birthday calendar three times.  On the second attempt to refresh, I removed the calendar item.  I was originally using the little birthday cake.
  4. The refresh had absolutely no effect on the calendar display.
  5. I am going to look back tomorrow and if the birthdays are still not displayed I will delete the birthday calendar and in three days I will recreate it to see if any of the birthdays sync from my people's list.  Before I do that I will delete the duplicate contact created by the manual addition of the birthdays that I did today.
  6. I only offer this information in an attempt to solve this bug.  Its obvious from the posts that many people are pretty ticked off by the lack of action in resolving this issue.
  7. Its rather sad that you can't rely on the outloook.com calendar any more.  If there has been a solution, I  would appreciate knowing it.
  8. FYI I do not use any social networking sites, so I have no other birthday data stored anywhere else.
Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Calendar

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-01-15T16:06:18+00:00

    Thursday January 15 10:06 EST

    Manipulated Calendar: 23 of 53 Birthdays Continue to be missing.  Refresh Details equivalent to Open Date and Time of Calendar.

    Test Calendar: ALL 53 Birthdays continue to display normally.  Refresh Details equivalent to Open Date and Time of Calendar.

    No additional testing for calendar discrepancies planned.

    Future Monitoring of the above will only be posted at the thread "Birthday Calendar Incidents"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T15:08:46+00:00

    I did get a response.  A technician is trying to reproduce the problem.  I'll pass on anything else I receive.

    I may not be able to explain it all, but I sure can explain some of it.  After extensive testing with my birthday calendar, I have found that every time you touch a People Hub record that has birthday information, you will in effect cause the birthday to disappear from your birthday calendar.

    I performed the following tests on my calendar for people who had a birthday in their People Hub record:

    1. If the person is already assigned to a group, delete him from the group.
    2. Change a person’s existing birthday to a new birthday in the People Hub.
    3. Change a person’s first name in the hub record.  Just add a few letters to his existing name.
    4. Delete any notes you have about the person in the hub record.
    5. Put 2 or three persons into a new group. Check the group in the People Hub. If you click on it, the group members will display in a pane to the right of the contact list.   Then delete the group without removing any of its members.
    6. Add a person who has no group assignment to an existing group.

    Before you conduct these tests for yourself do the following:

    1. Click on your Calendar Hub to open your main calendar
    2. Click on the cog wheel (upper right)
    3. Click on Options in the drop down dialogue box
    4. When you get to the options page point to the word birthday in the displayed calendars at the upper left and click on the word.
    5. This will bring you to the Settings Page for the Birthday Calendar.
    6. Midway down the page you will see the words Last Refreshed. Under those words are a date and time.  Beside them are the words Refresh Now.  Click on Refresh Now.  You will see the time and date change to your computer’s current time and date.
    7. Close out of the calendar.
    8. Wait approximately 15 minutes.

    To Perform the tests do the following:


    1. Open your calendar and select names of people that are displayed.  Keep track of their birthdays.
    2. Close the calendar and go to the People Hub and make adjustments as noted above.
    3. When finished, close the People Hub and open the calendar hub.  Check to see if the names are still displayed (they should be)
    4. Click on the cog again and repeat the steps to manually refresh your calendar.
    5. Go back and check the names after the re-fresh.  They should have disappeared.

    Now I don’t use social media or skype so I don’t know what effect those programs might have on your People hub records.  I could not test for that.

    I was also able to bring people back by doing a lot of clean up in my Hub Files. At one point I got all 52 of them back, but I don’t know what influence the Refresh Now option had on that process. That was early on in my testing, and the steps I used were not well controlled.  You can read my post about those efforts

    By doing the above tests I was able to ‘vanish’ 13 more records from my calendar. Add those to the 8 that I had already ‘vanished’ and that left 21 of 53 gone.

    I also created a brand new calendar in another outlook.com account.  The People Hub of that account was empty and I added each record with a birthday as if it were a new contact.  I included the birthday information at the time I was adding the record.  That Calendar continues to remain stable with all 53 names being displayed in the birthday calendar.

    I don’t know what causes the calendar to refresh on its own.  I have watched it and there might be some type of auto-refresh at specific intervals.  You want to make sure when you do your tests, that you are doing them after the Last Refreshed Date shown in the settings page and that you manually refresh by hitting refresh now when you want to see the names disappear.  Until you refresh manually or the system does it auto refresh, the names you have touched will show on the calendar.

    Similarly if you add a birthday to a person who does not have one, The calendar will not show the birthday until you do the refresh.

    I would be interested in knowing if anyone can repeat these results in their calendars as that should give the Microsoft engineers an opportunity to design a testing plan of their own.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T10:24:30+00:00

    After about 20 tries, it actually worked. I replied Ravinath's PM in the end.

    If this support forum doesn't work as it should, it's no wonder the calendar has problems. In fact, I am amazed I even got this far, on the internet and all that, using a MS product :)

    What the heck happened, I don't know, as most MS products of old were rock solid.

    PS. To post this message I had to refresh the page like 3 times, as it simply would not do anything when clicking the submit button. The wonders of the MS support forum on IE11 under Windows 8.1, I guess.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T04:26:00+00:00

    Hi Ataemonus,

    I kept getting a confusing message in my e-mail account the appears to be addressed to me from you, but the contents look like Ravinath P is trying to send you a private message.  Don't know what the screw up is.  I see you were having some trouble.  I was advised that there was a problem with a screen shot I attached to a pvt message, so I directed Ravinath to look at the post in the public forum where I pasted the screenshot in a reply to Brian Tillman.  Its quite visible there.  Hang in there.  I think we have gotten their attention.  -- BruceZ.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T02:15:01+00:00

    Hi Altaemonus,

    I apologize for the delay in response.

    I have sent you a Private Message requesting for few details, please reply with the necessary details.

    To see the Private Message, follow these steps

    Please log on to answers website and provide us the details in the private message itself.

    You can view the private message section by

    (1) Clicking the red link above your post

    or

    (2) Clicking on   link.

    Thank you.

    You have to be joking, or at least I hope this is funny for somebody because it's freaking sad for anyone who bother to read.

    Here, trying to reply the private message gets me this, every single time.

    PS. Because of the stupid automatic resizing of all images done by the wonderful support forum, I should clarify, the Ooops! Something went wrong. Please try again. error is all I get when trying to reply the PM. No sh!t Sherlock something went wrong, this entire forum it seems and pretty much most Microsoft software products in the past 5 years or so. The please try again part must be meant for the software engineers who created these wonders of fail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments