Birthdays Disappearing From Outlook.com Calendar

Anonymous
2015-01-06T01:57:11+00:00

I have been having the same trouble with the Outlook.com birthday calendar that many users have reported.  I just wanted to add my findings to the discussion.  Here are some details that might be helpful

  1. All the contacts listed in "People" for which I know their birthday have their birthday listed as Other Information.  I only use month and day, not the year as I don't ask for this. (some people are sensitive about their age)
  2. In the past this has worked fine.
  3. Recently, about 2 months ago, I noted that birthdays had disappeared from the calendar.  I added back the missing birthdays and verified these against an address book I have for a card site I subscribe too.  Both the People listing and my card Address book were identical for people with birthdays
  4. I again discovered a problem beginning with January 2015.  All of the previous entries for that month were now gone!
  5. I checked through all months of the calendar and 37 of 47 birthday entries were now missing.
  6. I decided to re-enter every birthday manually, using by Clicking on "New" in the calendar display and selection "Birthday" from the drop down dialogue box.
  7. I manually re-entered all 47 birthdays that way.
  8. I verified each month after this was done and every birthday I entered was displayed.
  9. About an hour later I checked again and all the birthdays were there.
  10. Five hours later only 10 of the birthdays displayed.

11.I went back to the People option and decided to see what would happen if I elected to clean up contacts.

  1. For each of the people that I had manually entered a birthday, a second contact appeared in my People list, with only the name and the birthday.
  2. I elected not to clean up the contact list at this time
  3. I refreshed the birthday calendar three times.  On the second attempt to refresh, I removed the calendar item.  I was originally using the little birthday cake.
  4. The refresh had absolutely no effect on the calendar display.
  5. I am going to look back tomorrow and if the birthdays are still not displayed I will delete the birthday calendar and in three days I will recreate it to see if any of the birthdays sync from my people's list.  Before I do that I will delete the duplicate contact created by the manual addition of the birthdays that I did today.
  6. I only offer this information in an attempt to solve this bug.  Its obvious from the posts that many people are pretty ticked off by the lack of action in resolving this issue.
  7. Its rather sad that you can't rely on the outloook.com calendar any more.  If there has been a solution, I  would appreciate knowing it.
  8. FYI I do not use any social networking sites, so I have no other birthday data stored anywhere else.
Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Calendar

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2015-01-12T22:37:13+00:00

    I have sent a link to this thread to a contact I have on the Outlook.com team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-01-12T18:33:21+00:00

    I have also some Problems with birthday calendar.

    At first: I'm using Windows 8.1, WP 8.1 and outlook.com.  The next days are the birthdays of 2 friends of mine (14. January and on 16. January).

    I noticed: only one birthday of them is shown in calendar (the Birthday on 17. January is shown in W 8.1, WP 8.1 and outlook.com )

    I checked the contacts: in both profiles the birthday is correct.

    In next step I deleted the unshown birthday (14. January) in the profile of this friend. I waited 2 days - then I saved the birthday again. Today (one day after) the former unshown birthday is now shown.

    But: the birthday of the other friend (16. January) is now missing in "all" Calendars!! What happens?

    In both profiles the birthdays are still correct - but shown is now only the last edited birthday.

    By the way: Both friends are members of the same group.

    How can I trust entrys in outlook.com? Is it only a bug in the birthday calender or are also any similar bugs in other calenders?

    ...sorry for my bad english....

    Hi Disch,

    Your English is quite fine.  I continue to work with my birthday calendar as well.  Same problems with disappearing birthdays.  I am beginning to think that any time you "touch" a record in the People Hub for a person who has birthday information as part of that record, something  happens so the birthday disappears from the calendar.  With respect to the groups, I had three friends in the same group for which I had just received birthday information.  I added that information to the three corresponding People Hub records and a short time later the birthdays appeared on the calendar.  I then went back to the group and deleted their names from it.  The group had been created for people I was making a request for birthday information.  Once they replied to my request e-mail I deleted their names from the group.  The following day, all three birthdays that were shown disappeared.  I then went back and added the three people back to the group.  Now all the birthdays showed up on the calendar.  There was one more person that I got birthday information from.  I added it to her People hub record in outlook.  Her birthday showed up on the calendar.   I left her in the group that I previously mentioned.  Then later I deleted the group entirely.  The three records that had appeared, disappeared and re-appeared were now gone again.  The birthday I added last before deleting the entire group is still visible on the calendar this morning Jan 12.  I don't know what will happen later in the day or tomorrow.  I have started a new post where I am listing in a table format what is happening to my calendar.  I hope that I might be able to detect a pattern.  I believe it is a system bug with outlook.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-12T17:56:45+00:00

    I have also some Problems with birthday calendar.

    At first: I'm using Windows 8.1, WP 8.1 and outlook.com.  The next days are the birthdays of 2 friends of mine (14. January and on 16. January).

    I noticed: only one birthday of them is shown in calendar (the Birthday on 17. January is shown in W 8.1, WP 8.1 and outlook.com )

    I checked the contacts: in both profiles the birthday is correct.

    In next step I deleted the unshown birthday (14. January) in the profile of this friend. I waited 2 days - then I saved the birthday again. Today (one day after) the former unshown birthday is now shown.

    But: the birthday of the other friend (16. January) is now missing in "all" Calendars!! What happens?

    In both profiles the birthdays are still correct - but shown is now only the last edited birthday.

    By the way: Both friends are members of the same group.

    How can I trust entrys in outlook.com? Is it only a bug in the birthday calender or are also any similar bugs in other calenders?

    ...sorry for my bad english....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-01-12T00:17:16+00:00

    Please follow the documentation of incidents in my birthday calendar at the new thread listed below.

    Information will be summarized and presented in an easier format so you can see what actions I have taken in my outlook account what consequences those actions have on my birthday calendar.  Again, i use no social networks or cell-phone so the calendar incidents should not be affected by any activity related thereto.  The calendar is used only in outlook.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/ocalendar-obirthday/birthday-calendar-incidents/6c0fb774-05cc-455b-91e5-37f66c12c7cb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-01-11T00:01:12+00:00

    Well it seems my thoughts that the problem with the calendar had been solved were a bit pre-mature.  I’ve run across yet another observation.  Previously, I reported that I did not think that placing contacts into groups or deleting them from groups was a contributory factor in the operation of the birthday calendar.  I am going to have to re-tract that statement.  Last night after I had to delete some records and re-create them I remembered that these individuals had to be placed in one or more of my groups.  I went back to the each of the records to complete this task after I made what was going to be a Final Post.  Here is what transpired:

    Contact AW (husband & Wife) Added Husband only to a Group.  Next morning husband’s birthday is missing from calendar, wife’s birthday still present,

    Contact RM (husband & Wife)  Added Husband only to a Group. Next morning husband’s birthday missing from calendar, wife’s birthday still present

    Contact AC (single Contact) Removed person from group.  Next morning contact’s birthday missing from calendar.

    Contact SR (single contact) Added contact to group.  Next morning contact’s birthday missing from calendar.

    In the morning, I further tested this scenario out by removing three contacts who were all members of the same group.  An hour later, birthday information for these three contacts was missing from the calendar. 

    Reviewed all contacts in People Hub by calling up each record individually, found two more contacts with  multiple outlook records.  Both of these had two birthdays listed.  One of the birthdays was correct, the other an error.  I suspect that each record at some time in the past had been edited by me after the wrong date was first put in then subsequently corrected.  Records deleted from People Hub for these two contacts.  Have yet to re-create them. I Noted that when records for these two persons were accessed in the People Hub the word “links” appeared in the outlook ribbon at the top of the screen, next to the word favourites.  I did not note this until I looked at the screen shot for the record.  I did go back and check the People Hub for other records with the word “links” displayed.  This appeared where two persons shared the same e-mail.  Will watch for it again if another ‘single user’ shows up with multiple outlook records.

    I guess for now the theme song continues.. touch me once, and touch me twice…… As it seems peculiar things happen when you add or subtract people from groups.  Stay tuned…

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments