Scheduling and managing events using Outlook.com calendar
CONCLUDING POST
The big Question is: Did the Microsoft engineers do something to solve this problem almost simultaneously while I was doing my own sleuthing, or did I end up correcting things in my outlook account outlook which were interfering with the calendar?
Please note, I do not subscribe to any social networks and my calendar in outlook is not synced with any other device such as a cell phone. I use a stand-alone lap top. But here is a summary of what has happened over several days:
- When I first noted I was missing birthdays, I entered all the missing ones directly on the calendar, despite the fact that their hub records already contained birthday information. After this manual entry, I verified that my Hub records matched my card site address book. All looked fine. This was done in December 2014. A review of the calendar showed that all birthdays were now being displayed.
- In January 2015, all birthdays for that month (5 of them) had disappeared. That’s when I contacted my internet service that offers support for e-mail problems etc. They could not help and told me that the forums were reporting similar problems. I then reported my problem on the forum starting a new thread. At that point only 11 of 47 Birthdays appeared on the calendar.
- After several discussions with Microsoft, I elected not to give them permission to access my account as I did not believe this would help.
- The next step I took was to remove 6 contacts from a group which contained 10 contacts. I had created this group at the end of November for a special e-mailing. Six of the members no longer wanted to part of the e-mail program so I wanted to remove them. Suddenly, these six names appeared on my birthday calendar. Becoming more concerned about the reliability of the calendar I also started a project of entering contact and birthday information into another outlook account that I do not use for sending out mail. This account had no calendars and I thought I would try creating a new one from scratch. That was not going to happen until mid January.
- I went back to the original account which had the birthday calendar and I executed a “Clean up Contacts” because I knew duplicate records had been created in the People Hub when I manually entered the birthday information using the New Birthday Option in the Calendar Hub. Eleven more birthdays appeared.
- When the calendar was examined a few hours later, more birthdays had appeared, but I knew some of them were still missing. At this point I had created a separate birthday list in excel using my card site address book. I updated 3 Hub records with recent birthday information that I had just acquired in January 2015.
- I decided to compare my excel report with the calendar. At this point only 10 birthdays were missing.
- On examining each of these records in the hub, I noted that 6 involved married couples who shared the same e-mail address, 3 were from the new birthdays I had just input into outlook and 2 were from persons whom I had at some time in the past entered the wrong birthday information and subsequently corrected. With the exception of the 3 new ones, the other 7 all had a number of duplicate outlook notations that were not visible in the Hub listing for contacts.
- I deleted each of these “bad” records and added the individuals back a second time with all the correct information. A final comparison of the excel report and the calendar showed that the two were equivalent and all 52 birthdays showed on the calendar.
I don’t know why the records of the 7 people got strangely combined. I never did this. I also wonder if once a record is supposedly deleted, it is not actually physically deleted, but is just “flagged as deleted” but still lurks in the background. Could this ‘unseen’ record influence the calendar performance if a new record containing some info from the deleted one is updated or touched in any way again. I guess I will leave that to the software engineers. That’s why I think the theme song for the calendar should be: Touch me once and touch me twice and touch me once again.. its been a long long time. Look at your calendars again and see if they are working as expected. If you want to try manipulating your records the way I did, I strongly suggest that you download the information from your People Hub into an excel sheet so that you will have a hard copy of the records before you go messing about. Good Luck. I will keep you posted if my birthday records start to magically disappear again. So far the calendar has remained stable for about 10 hours.