Outlook 2016 for Mac does not download attachments randomly

Anonymous
2016-02-25T03:30:14+00:00

hello,

since 1 month time, i'm using outlook 2016 on my mac with my office 365 exchange account. 

i have more or less 3 gb mailbox. when i added my account to outlook 2016 it starts to give fault about downloading the attachments. 

now, even my new received e-mails randomly system does not download the attachments. i can reach the attachments from web mail office 365 but outlook can not download it. 

i thought that there is download limit but not, sometimes i can received big files without problem. but sometimes i didn't. 

the attachments shows as grey as in the photo and i can not forward these e-mails. system blocks itself.

could you please help me to solve this problem, 

it is very important,

br

mert cologlu

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-17T18:25:36+00:00

I am currently using Microsoft Outlook for Mac, version 15.40 (171108).

I've had this happen a few times, I have had luck deleting the cache of the affected Inbox. I know this may be required when an error pops up with code -17890 on the Sync Errors page. All but once has rebuilding the cache fixed the issue, the one time it didn't work I used OWA to download the attachment but it turned out to be corrupt.

This isn't very efficient because rebuilding the cache requires a full download of your Exchange account, if you could delete the cached version of the affected e-mail it would be more efficient.

Follow the steps below to clear the cache of the affected folder:

  1. Connect to your fastest network connection, you may be downloading gigabytes of data.
  2. Open Outlook.
  3. Right click (or Control click) the Inbox of the account having the problem.
  4. From the pop up, select 'Properties...' near the bottom.
  5. On the 'General' tab you will find a button named 'Empty Cache', click it.
  6. Close the window if required.
  7. Your local copy of your Inbox will be deleted, a fresh download of all e-mails will be performed.
  8. From the 'Window' menu, select 'Sync Status' to monitor the process.
  9. Monitor the 'Sync Status' window, you will note several download threads receiving downloads.

Depending on how much mail is in your Exchange profile and your internet speed it can take 10 minutes or more to recover your Inbox contents.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-11-17T07:47:05+00:00

OK, So I had this issue on another Mac yesterday.

Checked for updates on Office and there was about 1.6GB of them!!!!

Ran them all and the problem seems to be sorted for now.

Only time will tell as this issue is VERY random!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-06T14:04:44+00:00

    I'm running Outlook 2016, version 15.25 on OSX El Capitan 10.11.16. The problem with attachment appeared approximately a month or so ago. It seems to be random: I get some attachments and I don't get some, irrelevant of their format or size.

    I created a new profile and found the same problem.

    When I access my emails through OWA, I don,t have any problems getting attachments.

    Thanks for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-16T02:48:39+00:00

    Hi Sally,

    Could you provide the information I mentioned when you have time?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-13T05:33:01+00:00

    hi sally,

    sorry for the late reply.

    to look into the issue, i’d like to collect the following information:

    1. are you using an office 365 account?

    2. is there any error message when outlook downloads the attachments? if yes, please provide a screenshot of it.

    3. the versions of the operating system and outlook for mac? to check the version of outlook for mac, navigate to preference>account

      

    4. do you mean you have created a new profile? if yes, please make sure you set the new profile as default and restart outlook.

    5. try in another mac machine and see if the issue occurs.

    to upload screenshots, click use rich formatting > insert\ edit media.

     

    thanks,

    chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments