Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again

Anonymous
2016-04-21T11:33:25+00:00

Hi Guys

I just linked my domain to office 365. Everything went well but now I'm trying to configure an outlook 2016 client for mac and I'm getting Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again"

Regards

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-23T21:38:26+00:00

Hi Richard,

Based on your description, the issue seems caused by the Mac OS update and the update made some config files relate to Outlook client corrupted. Please try the steps below and see if there is any improvement:

  1. Go to KeyChain Access.
  2. Search "Exchange" under Login --> All Items and delete everything.
  3. Search "Office" and delete everything.
  4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything.
  5. Launch Outlook.
  6. You will get the activation prompt and then If account is already added you will see the password prompt for app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to.

If this doesn’t help, we need to collect some information below for troubleshooting:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Your detailed Outlook for Mac version.

@Craig, please try the steps as well to check if there is any improvement. In addition, I noticed you’re using Outlook for Mac 15.31 (161220) which is our Office Inside program. Actually, we have a dedicated support channel (Help menu > Contact support) to copying with Office Inside program related issues. If the issue persists after performing the steps above, please seek professional assistance there.

@Morgan, have you updated your Mac OS as well? You can also try the steps I mentioned above. Let us know the followings if it doesn’t work:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Try to create a new Mac OS user profile to check the result.

Regards,

Larry

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-03T09:08:44+00:00

    Hi Larry

    I was on the right lines then with the Keychain, i had deleted all entries for Exchange and i thought Office but wasn't aware of the ADAL, i had entries in Office and ADAL which i deleted, set the O365 account back up and it authenticated first time and its all working again.

    Thanks for your support and help on this.

    Craig

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-03T14:32:43+00:00

    Hi Larry,

    I have been having this problem as well and is happening since the last outlook auto-update.

    I have 15.29 (161209). 

    I did try out the steps (deleting Exchange, Office, ADAL keys from keychain and that did not help. I have turned on debugging and the message in the logs says that a folder with a GUID is not found. I can send the logs across. Should I do that over a private message?

    I can access Outlook over web and from windows. 

    I have OS X 10.11.6.

    Regards

    Manoj

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2017-01-03T16:25:25+00:00

    When it happens to me, I simply close the dialog prompting for input, then Quit Outlook. When I re-open Outlook, everything is normal and works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments