Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again

Anonymous
2016-04-21T11:33:25+00:00

Hi Guys

I just linked my domain to office 365. Everything went well but now I'm trying to configure an outlook 2016 client for mac and I'm getting Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again"

Regards

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-23T21:38:26+00:00

Hi Richard,

Based on your description, the issue seems caused by the Mac OS update and the update made some config files relate to Outlook client corrupted. Please try the steps below and see if there is any improvement:

  1. Go to KeyChain Access.
  2. Search "Exchange" under Login --> All Items and delete everything.
  3. Search "Office" and delete everything.
  4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything.
  5. Launch Outlook.
  6. You will get the activation prompt and then If account is already added you will see the password prompt for app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to.

If this doesn’t help, we need to collect some information below for troubleshooting:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Your detailed Outlook for Mac version.

@Craig, please try the steps as well to check if there is any improvement. In addition, I noticed you’re using Outlook for Mac 15.31 (161220) which is our Office Inside program. Actually, we have a dedicated support channel (Help menu > Contact support) to copying with Office Inside program related issues. If the issue persists after performing the steps above, please seek professional assistance there.

@Morgan, have you updated your Mac OS as well? You can also try the steps I mentioned above. Let us know the followings if it doesn’t work:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Try to create a new Mac OS user profile to check the result.

Regards,

Larry

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-30T09:42:42+00:00

    Hi Denzel,

    Please let us know if you have any updates.

    Regards,

    Larry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-12-22T12:08:51+00:00

    Hi

    I am having the exact same issue, all was working fine until yesterday when Outlook 2016 prompted for Re-authentication via a web pop up, which i completed but this just kept popping up.  

    I am able to login through the Web portal with the same account fine.

    I can connect to **** fine

    I can access email through Mobile using the same account

    I have tried my account on a Windows 7 machine using Outlook and this connects fine with the same account.

    I have removed outlook from the Mac and re-downloaded it from O365

    I have removed the account from my Mac and rebooted.

    Now when i go to add the account back, it fails to authenticate.  I get the initial web browser pop up which as for account details which if i type incorrectly it challenges me so i know the details are correct, but when the popup disappears the client screen displays 'Authentication Failed.  Check your account information and try again.

    I have tried manual config for the server but i get the same net result

    I have updated to the latest available client 15.31 (161220)

    Any help would be appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-12-22T19:20:54+00:00

    I am also now having this same problem. I had been using Outlook 2016 on my Mac with my Office 365 email account for months and yesterday (12/21/2016) started getting prompted to log back in. I deleted and attempted to re-add my email account but get the authentication errors there, too. I also re-installed Outlook 2016 but not joy. My credentials work fine on OWA, iOS email clients, Windows Outlook, etc.

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments