Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again

Anonymous
2016-04-21T11:33:25+00:00

Hi Guys

I just linked my domain to office 365. Everything went well but now I'm trying to configure an outlook 2016 client for mac and I'm getting Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again"

Regards

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-23T21:38:26+00:00

Hi Richard,

Based on your description, the issue seems caused by the Mac OS update and the update made some config files relate to Outlook client corrupted. Please try the steps below and see if there is any improvement:

  1. Go to KeyChain Access.
  2. Search "Exchange" under Login --> All Items and delete everything.
  3. Search "Office" and delete everything.
  4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything.
  5. Launch Outlook.
  6. You will get the activation prompt and then If account is already added you will see the password prompt for app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to.

If this doesn’t help, we need to collect some information below for troubleshooting:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Your detailed Outlook for Mac version.

@Craig, please try the steps as well to check if there is any improvement. In addition, I noticed you’re using Outlook for Mac 15.31 (161220) which is our Office Inside program. Actually, we have a dedicated support channel (Help menu > Contact support) to copying with Office Inside program related issues. If the issue persists after performing the steps above, please seek professional assistance there.

@Morgan, have you updated your Mac OS as well? You can also try the steps I mentioned above. Let us know the followings if it doesn’t work:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Try to create a new Mac OS user profile to check the result.

Regards,

Larry

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T16:10:53+00:00

    Update this morning: I got a little more aggressive deleting files and keychain entries, and was successfully able to add my account. I won't know until later if the problem will return after I quit/logout/etc., but for now, what I did has worked. Attached is a screen shot of the files that I deleted that had been in /Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office. The Profile folders were inside the Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles folder inside the UBF8T... folder.

    I also deleted every single entry in Keychain Access that showed up when I searched for "Office," "Exchange," or "ADAL," not just application passwords but the files that have the blue "@" symbol next to them and long strings of letters and numbers, and are the kind "MicrosoftOffice15_2_Data:....."

    Like I said, not sure if the problem will return, but I'm up and running for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T16:28:42+00:00

    OK - I give! Outlook wins.

    I am really tired of repeating this workaround every morning when I log on to my Mac. I cannot believe MS has not figured this out and issued a patch yet. It has been almost two months and it's not like the problem cannot be reproduced.

    And there is something else wrong with Outlook. Whenever I can log in to my O365 email Outlook would jump to the top of the CPU usage list in Activity Monitor. It uses 20-30% of the CPU consistently. I wondered why my Mac was running slowly recently.

    I am so desperate I am going back to using Mac Mail until this is really fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-26T16:41:59+00:00

    Re: My above post this morning, I suppose it should be noted that after deleting my profiles, the secondary account that I mentioned in my post last night was no longer there, and I have not tried to re-add it, as for today at least, I'd much rather be able to use the account I use 95% of the time.

    I do wonder if the problem is related to multiple accounts on a MacOS user account, though I don't know how many of you were in the same boat as me with multiple accounts. The reason I wonder though, is that I noticed in Word yesterday, on the Splash Screen, that it briefly had my name as the name of the secondary account, but my email address as the one on my primary account. It seemed confused. Just thinking out loud...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments