Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again

Anonymous
2016-04-21T11:33:25+00:00

Hi Guys

I just linked my domain to office 365. Everything went well but now I'm trying to configure an outlook 2016 client for mac and I'm getting Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again"

Regards

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-23T21:38:26+00:00

Hi Richard,

Based on your description, the issue seems caused by the Mac OS update and the update made some config files relate to Outlook client corrupted. Please try the steps below and see if there is any improvement:

  1. Go to KeyChain Access.
  2. Search "Exchange" under Login --> All Items and delete everything.
  3. Search "Office" and delete everything.
  4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything.
  5. Launch Outlook.
  6. You will get the activation prompt and then If account is already added you will see the password prompt for app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to.

If this doesn’t help, we need to collect some information below for troubleshooting:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Your detailed Outlook for Mac version.

@Craig, please try the steps as well to check if there is any improvement. In addition, I noticed you’re using Outlook for Mac 15.31 (161220) which is our Office Inside program. Actually, we have a dedicated support channel (Help menu > Contact support) to copying with Office Inside program related issues. If the issue persists after performing the steps above, please seek professional assistance there.

@Morgan, have you updated your Mac OS as well? You can also try the steps I mentioned above. Let us know the followings if it doesn’t work:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Try to create a new Mac OS user profile to check the result.

Regards,

Larry

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-24T18:39:55+00:00

    Thanks Ryan

    I installed the Mac OS 10.12.3 update yesterday. Outlook worked fine afterward.

    However, I am now able to log in with Outlook. I logged out of the Mac and back in and it worked after asking me my Office365 credentials just one time.

    Not sure what is going on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T14:24:02+00:00

    Hi Richard&Ryan,

    Thanks for letting us know your current situation. This post is to inform you that we are still monitoring this, any fix/update will be posted here. 

    Regards,

    Larry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T21:51:32+00:00

    I just wanted to add my voice and my info to this. I never had the problem in December, the problem began for me on Monday. I am running OSX 10.11.6, and up until about an hour ago, Outlook 15.29. I had not upgraded either recently, but after trying many other things, did upgrade Outlook today just to see if it would help. Outlook has had two accounts linked - mine as default, and a "catchall" account as secondary. (The other account is NOT having the same problems.)

    1. On  Monday, it began to pop up with that webpage-looking login screen, and it would accept my credentials, disappear, then almost immediately come back. I restarted my computer, started Outlook back up, and was fine most of the day.
    2. Right before I left Monday, I had just quit Outlook to go home, but had to fire it back up again, and that login screen came back. Upon entering my credentials, I saw for the first time the message about another account from the same organization being signed in.  It was late so I didn't do much.
    3. Tuesday morning, the same message appeared again. I tried to do delete Keychain items relating to the word "Office" but Keychain Access wouldn't let me delete them. I removed my primary account from Outlook and re-added it. It worked fine most of the rest of the day. But again I had to restart Outlook after quitting before I went home, and the login screen came back message came back.
    4. This morning, the login screen was there again. I tried again to delete the Office Keychain items and it worked! But then it didn't really work! The login screen came up again, I entered it, the login screen came back. Just for fun, the second time I tried the credentials for the catchall account instead to see what would happen. At that point I got a new message. This one said, "Sorry we can't make this update because there are problems with your account, try signing in again." Thing is, I can't sign in again, because now the box won't come back. Also I found it odd that it was trying to make an "update." Maybe that's a clue???
    5. Up until this point, the status down in the corner had always said, "Not Connected: XXXXX." Now, however, it says it IS connected, and that all folders are up to date, but I had more than 10 new emails on the web-based application that were not showing in my "up-to-date" Outlook inbox.
    6. Deleted all profiles, threw away and rebuilt the database. No help. Signed out of all Office products anywhere I could find them, restarted, tried to add my account again, got the "Authentication Failed" message. Restarted my computer, cleared the PRAM, tried again. Same message.
    7. Upgraded to Outlook 15.30 just to see if it would help. It didn't. I had not yet seen that some people solved the problem by rolling back to 15.28. I have not yet tried rolling back.
    8. Started hunting around online, found this thread, tried the steps to remove other keychain items (Exchange, ADAL), that didn't help at all. Decided to make this post.

    For the record, the other account adds to Outlook just fine on this computer, and my account works just fine on the web application, and on another Mac I have access to, which is running 15.25.

    (EDIT: Sorry for the formatting issues, when using the RT Editor there are breaks between my numbered steps, but it doesn't display that way.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments