Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again

Anonymous
2016-04-21T11:33:25+00:00

Hi Guys

I just linked my domain to office 365. Everything went well but now I'm trying to configure an outlook 2016 client for mac and I'm getting Authentication Failed.Check your account information and try again"

Regards

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-12-23T21:38:26+00:00

Hi Richard,

Based on your description, the issue seems caused by the Mac OS update and the update made some config files relate to Outlook client corrupted. Please try the steps below and see if there is any improvement:

  1. Go to KeyChain Access.
  2. Search "Exchange" under Login --> All Items and delete everything.
  3. Search "Office" and delete everything.
  4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything.
  5. Launch Outlook.
  6. You will get the activation prompt and then If account is already added you will see the password prompt for app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to.

If this doesn’t help, we need to collect some information below for troubleshooting:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Your detailed Outlook for Mac version.

@Craig, please try the steps as well to check if there is any improvement. In addition, I noticed you’re using Outlook for Mac 15.31 (161220) which is our Office Inside program. Actually, we have a dedicated support channel (Help menu > Contact support) to copying with Office Inside program related issues. If the issue persists after performing the steps above, please seek professional assistance there.

@Morgan, have you updated your Mac OS as well? You can also try the steps I mentioned above. Let us know the followings if it doesn’t work:

  1. Can you add your Office 365 account on other Office suites such as Word on your Mac?
  2. Can you configure other types of email accounts such as outlook.com email accounts on your Outlook for Mac client?
  3. Try to create a new Mac OS user profile to check the result.

Regards,

Larry

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-07T07:49:56+00:00

    Hi Mike&Manoj,

    We are consulting the related team about this issue. We will update in this thread once getting any feedback form them, thanks for your patience and understanding.

    Regards,

    Larry

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-06T16:42:53+00:00

    I've been using Apple Mail for now. There are some cool interface advantages like when you read a thread that has multiple emails attached. Its kind of the way outlook for PC shows it but a bit better. I dont understand why outlook mac hasn't adopted this feature of being to view send and replies in 1 interface. tsk tsk...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-06T16:35:59+00:00

    It did come back for me :(

    It worked for a while and then stopped working. I had to restart my Mac for a different reason and after the restart it started working again and then stopped. I have given up on trying to make it work. I use a Windows VM and OWA for checking email for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments