Outlook continually re-asking for password

Anonymous
2017-01-05T16:43:54+00:00

Hi there, 

Wonder if anyone can help - this issue is causing me considerable pain.

Essentially my mac outlook keeps asking for my password periodically:

Enter your account information for "XXXXXX"

User name: <My email address>

Password: <unpopulated>

<checkbox> Remember this password in my keychain

When I enter the password, and submit the form it asks me immediately for the same details again. Even if I select use keychain.

Then after two attempts, it shows me this message:

Mail could not be received at this time.

The server for account "<my name>" returned the error "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password." Your username/password may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?

No/Yes

If I click "Yes" it shows me the same dialogue again....and when I click "yes" again it disappears.

This process restarts every 15 minutes through my working day - but I do get emails sporadically. So its kinda disruptive!

Can anyone help?

Graham

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-01-12T15:50:23+00:00

Hi All,

Thanks for your updates.

Firstly, I’m sorry that I may have misunderstood your different scenarios in the posts above. I have done more research and consulting about the issue and please check the different steps below:

@Graham, since you are using an Office 365 account, please double-confirm whether all the Office 365 related credentials are deleted on your Mac. (Although I understand you may have deleted the keychain folder earlier due to an irrelevant issue.) To check that, please refer to the steps below:

  1. Go to KeyChain Access.
  2. Search "Exchange" under Login --> All Items and delete everything.
  3. Search "Office" and delete everything.
  4. Search "ADAL" and delete everything.
  5. Launch Outlook.
  6. You will get the activation prompt and then If account is already added you will see the password prompt for app and ADAL again. Please do 2-Factor Authentication if asked to.

You can also let your colleague try the steps to see if the issue can be fixed.

@Tanner, since you are using a Mediacom account, I suppose you configured the account via IMAP in the Outlook for Mac client, right? Anyway, you may need to delete the Mediacom related credentials and the information in the thread that I shared above may not work for you. Please refer to these steps instead:

  1. Open Applications/Keychain Access
  2. On the left, select the Login Keychain
  3. On the left, select the Passwords category
  4. Find out and delete all the Mediacom related credentials.

Let me know how it works this time. Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Regards,

Sam

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-14T08:07:12+00:00

    Hi Graham,

    Could you provide the troubleshooting logs when you have time?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-10T15:33:16+00:00

    Hi Graham,

    The latest version for Insider Fast subscribers is 15.33 (170308). Please disable logging in Outlook client and then install the latest update.

    After the latest update is installed, please turn on logging again the reproduce the issue. You are supposed to find the log files in ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.outlook/ Data/Library/Logs/. The file should look like: Microsoft outlook-<date>-<time>.log. Please provide the log file in private message.

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-09T15:25:56+00:00

    Hi Chris,

    I've turned on error logging and the password issue has occurred twice but nothing has appeared in the logs. Am I doing something wrong?

    BTW, I'm using version 15.33 (170228)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-07T17:22:32+00:00

    Hi Graham,

    Could you let me know the version of the Outlook client that you use now?

    In addition, I’d like to collect the troubleshooting logs to further investigate the issue. Please follow the article to enable logging in Outlook for Mac.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/2872257/how-to-enable-logging-in-outlook-for-mac

    Wait until the issue reoccurs. Then provide the log with us via private message. Please note the time when the issue occurs and let me know the time. Please click the link below to access the private message.

     https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessages/list

    Thanks,

    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments