Unwanted Contact Groups

Anonymous
2016-08-29T23:40:34+00:00

I have my Outlook.com account on my iPhone. There has always been a few contact groups that I don't use, however lately it has expanded to 6 extra unwanted groups. Is there any way to get rid of these? Some of them don't even show up on Outlook.com and just on my iPhone. I don't have my account linked up with Skype or Facebook.

blocklist

Facebook Contacts

MeContact

People you may know on Skype

PersonMetadata

Skype Contacts

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Contacts

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-09-21T15:26:46+00:00

    I only opened my Outlook.com account after it was changed to Outlook. It's never been anything else for me.

    I've never used People Groups and never noticed all the extra groups and empty contacts until recently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-21T15:19:07+00:00

    I have 785 'no names' entries for group PersonMetadata.

    I am also able to delete them, but what am I deleting then? Is it wise to do that?

    I think "the extra groups" should not be shown in the Contacts-app.

    Microsoft only can give the answer on this!!

    I was able to get rid of the "no name" problem on my Android phone, in conjunction with getting rid of hundreds of duplicate contacts in Outlook.com...  See my post on this this 'related'(?) thread...

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/opeople-ocontacts/cant-clean-up-contacts-in-new-outlookcom-web-app/9fd89828-9776-4430-a8f6-6399cf550512

    I tried several times reinstalling my email on my phone, but the "no names" kept coming back, sometimes to the tune of hundreds, and without loading third part software on my Android phone, I had to manually delete all of them on my old Kit-Kat Android version.  After cleaning up all my contacts on my phone (cleared data and cache), and in Outlook.com, all my "no name" problems were gone.  I reinstalled my email software on my phone and all was good and clean.

    I'm not sure this is a permanent solution, but so far so good.

    Just curious though, did any of you folks use Windows Live Mail as a desktop email client prior to the Outlook conversion...

    Hope this helps...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Brian Tillman [Outlook MVP 2007-2019] 25,925 Reputation points
    2016-09-21T13:36:56+00:00

    > It is Outlook that create these.

    Then how do they appear on a device that doesn't use Outlook?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-09-20T11:50:45+00:00

    What?! It is Outlook that create these. Too many people have seen this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2016-09-14T21:01:12+00:00

    I just read all the above messages and can confirm that I have exactly the same problem/situation with my Iphone.

    I am convinced of the fact that the current Outlook.com conversion by Microsoft is the cause of all this.

    We (my family) have 5 Outlook accounts, from which 2 are converted and 3 not. We all have an Iphone too.

    For the 2 converted accounts we encounter the Iphone-issue as described above.

    For the other 3 accounts it all works fine without the extra groups visible on the Iphone

    I have same problem, not only on my iPhone, my android phone has same problem too.

     definitely it is a problem of outlook

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments