Spell check underlines contractions of Verb + Not

Anonymous
2011-08-17T11:22:05+00:00

Original Title:"Contractions of Verb + Not"

The spell check in Outlook 2011 keeps underlining any verb that is contracted with "not."  For example, "can't", "isn't", and so on are all flagged as misspellings.  How can I stop this?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-15T00:24:50+00:00

Everyone should send Microsoft feedback to let them know you want this bug fixed.

The more reports they get the higher it gets on the list to be fixed.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-02-29T00:44:16+00:00

    I just noticed more strange behavior on how Outlook processes the auto spelling of the contractions:

    When you type a contraction for the first time, Outlook indicates that it's incorrect.  When you backspace and re-type the apostrophe or last letter of the word then the space bar, Outlook is now content that the word is spelled correctly and no longer shows the red squiggly line of shame.

    looking at this problem from a programmers mindset, it seems there may be different logic path implemented in how Outlook processes the auto correct spelling for newly typed words vs. those that are merely being changed.  Hoping this extra piece of information may be helpful to validating the problem and fixing it.  It's also another easy work-around to the issue for anyone else that's stymied by this odd behavior.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-04T22:51:08+00:00

    A future strange and related issue.  I am a developer testing the post-Lion OSX operating system. The contraction issue not only persists but now has an additional twist.  Certain contractions such as I'm and I'll are immediately replaced by I'M and I'Ll as soon as you press the space key after entering.  In addition, the typing cursor disappears to never-never land and the system beeps if you do any subsequent typing.  Two work arounds: 1) click to place the typing cursor back on the text line, type another word after the contraction, then correct the capitalization of the contraction; 2) Use Incubsudrives suggestion above to type the contraction twice into the Text and Language section of System Preferences.

    Obviously, we can't expect Microsoft to support an unreleased version of the OS but this does point out that Outlook (and not other members of Microsoft Office for Mac 2011) uses some strange calls to the system spelling and text coding in the OS.

    Sandy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-05-09T20:18:46+00:00

    Oddly enough I didn't start having the problem until I went to Lion.  What maakes it worse is that it is only in Outlook and if they are saying that Outlook is using Apple's dictionary function there is something else wrong.  I can use an application like Safari or Chrome as I an doing here and do not get the misspelling, this only occurs in Outlook 2011

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-05-13T22:36:28+00:00

    Yes, this is a problem with Outlook for Mac. Outlook isn't recognizing the apostrophe as part of the word and therefore considers the the characters before the apostrophe to be a misspelled word.

    Please be sure to let Microsoft know you'd like to see this feature
    addressed in future versions by using the **Help** --> *Send      Feedback...* mechanism in any Office application.  
    
    Hope this helps!
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments