Using older versions of Outlook for Mac in business environments
Everyone should send Microsoft feedback to let them know you want this bug fixed.
The more reports they get the higher it gets on the list to be fixed.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Original Title:"Contractions of Verb + Not"
The spell check in Outlook 2011 keeps underlining any verb that is contracted with "not." For example, "can't", "isn't", and so on are all flagged as misspellings. How can I stop this?
Using older versions of Outlook for Mac in business environments
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Everyone should send Microsoft feedback to let them know you want this bug fixed.
The more reports they get the higher it gets on the list to be fixed.
We haven't seen this reported. Outlook now uses the Mac OS X spell checker so I'm not sure if this is an issue with Outlook or the OS.
http://www.officeformachelp.com/2010/10/spell-check-differs-in-outlook/
First create a new Identity and see if you get the same behavior with the contractions.
How to create a new Identity or switch to a new Identity in Outlook 2011
http://www.officeformachelp.com/outlook/faqs/#faq20
If the problem exists in the new Identity, let's test in a new User.
CREATE A NEW USER
Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching.
Open Outlook and test.
If the problem goes away, your Identity has the problem. Most likely it's a .plist file.
Move the Microsoft folder in your User's Library/Preferences folder to the Desktop. Log out/in and see if the problem goes away. To further test your User's account see this link:
If the issue is limited to your regular User account….
Let us know what you find. Since this is new your feedback will help us help other users with this problem. Thanks!!
After trying these possible solutions, the problem remains. I followed your instructions exactly as you said, so whatever is causing this for some users is something else.
Here is a list of words that show up as being spelled correctly:
can't
don't
won't
isn't
doesn't
haven't
weren't
Here is a list of words that show up as being spelled incorrectly:
hasn't
hasn't
wasn't
Yet I can right-click the misspelled words and choose Look Up "hasn't" or whichever word and the definition pulls up as has not.
Oddly enough, if I do not type the apostrophe (so I just type hasnt), it will autocorrect to hasn't and will not complain that it is misspelled. All other applications do not think these few select words are spelled incorrectly, only Outlook from what I've noticed.
Not a big issue, just slightly annoying as I type my emails and red dotted lines pop up.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Tony
Diane is correct that Outlook is using Apple's dictionary.
See if this works:
Test typing the word in Outlook now and see if it's still indicated as an error.
FYI, on Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) I don't see this issue.
Hope this helps!
Wish it worked, but it didn't.
Add the following to the misspelled list:
couldn't
wouldn't
Shouldn't shows up as being spelled correctly.
I'm also running Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) and this occurs on both my work iMac (2010) and my personal MacBook Pro (2010). They were both upgraded with the same download of Mac OS and installed with the same Microsoft Office disc (licensed from my work).
Very odd...