Spell check underlines contractions of Verb + Not

Anonymous
2011-08-17T11:22:05+00:00

Original Title:"Contractions of Verb + Not"

The spell check in Outlook 2011 keeps underlining any verb that is contracted with "not."  For example, "can't", "isn't", and so on are all flagged as misspellings.  How can I stop this?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-15T00:24:50+00:00

Everyone should send Microsoft feedback to let them know you want this bug fixed.

The more reports they get the higher it gets on the list to be fixed.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-29T01:42:23+00:00

    This bug drives me insane.  If a fix comes out, someone please post it to bring back my sanity.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-27T15:43:23+00:00

    The behavior is quite odd. I thing the reason that these "tricks" for adding the word to custom dictionaries and the like don't work is because, while Outlook underlines the word as if it were misspelled, Outlook doesn't actually think it is misspelled. If you use the Show Spelling and Grammar option, that dialog let's you jump from misspelling to misspelling. That feature doesn't flag the contracted word as misspelled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-17T05:03:43+00:00

    this has been annoying me for a while however I had found a workaround of sorts, see if it works for you. If you type couldnt like this and let it replace it with couldn't, which it does by default, then that couldn't will not be underlined. However if you type it correctly it  will be underlined. I know that's not a solution, like I just said it is a workaround :) I have done as was suggested at the bottom of this page and given feedback about the issue quoting this page.

    Wow, thanks but that's just insane. How shameful for the Mac Outlook team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-12-03T00:39:13+00:00

    this has been annoying me for a while however I had found a workaround of sorts, see if it works for you. If you type couldnt like this and let it replace it with couldn't, which it does by default, then that couldn't will not be underlined. However if you type it correctly it  will be underlined. I know that's not a solution, like I just said it is a workaround :) I have done as was suggested at the bottom of this page and given feedback about the issue quoting this page.

    Phill

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments