Spell check underlines contractions of Verb + Not

Anonymous
2011-08-17T11:22:05+00:00

Original Title:"Contractions of Verb + Not"

The spell check in Outlook 2011 keeps underlining any verb that is contracted with "not."  For example, "can't", "isn't", and so on are all flagged as misspellings.  How can I stop this?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-11-15T00:24:50+00:00

Everyone should send Microsoft feedback to let them know you want this bug fixed.

The more reports they get the higher it gets on the list to be fixed.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product-feedback

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T02:45:54+00:00

    Yup. Grabbed both updates when they came out. Issue existed in 10.7.0 but unsure about if it existed in the previous Office 2011 version (14.1.1?).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T02:23:27+00:00

    Are you fully up-to-date with Office 2011 at 14.1.2 and Lion at 10.7.1?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T00:52:41+00:00

    Learning the contractions still does't help;  they are still flagged as misspellings.  I have the same problem on my MacBookPro.  Another funny thing is with the word "Weren't".  See the example below:

    "Weren't you..."  Outlook has no problem with "Weren't" as long as I capitalized "W".  It will flag it as a misspelling if it auto-capitalizes "W".

    My other question is don't Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari all use Lion's dictionary?  If so, none of them have a problem with contractions.

    Finally, this problem only appeared when I performed a clean install both my iMac and MacBookPro.  At first I just performed the normal upgrade through the Apple Store.  I had no problems then.  Later I performed a clean install (wiped the entire drive), and that's when the problem started.

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-08-21T00:41:44+00:00

    I tried all of your suggestions, but nothing worked.  Contractions are still hated.

    :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments