Outlook for Mac keeps asking for password on exchange.

Anonymous
2011-10-25T23:41:47+00:00

Using outlook for Mac 2011 on exchange.  Several note that they are constantly being asked formtheir password when it is stored in keychain.  Outlook will not except the password, even though it is correct.  Web mail is fine and virtual machine in windows with outlook 2010 is fine.  Office is updated to latest version.  I have been getting complaints at an average of 2 new a day.  Help please!

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-12-08T22:01:37+00:00

not sure why this solution is not being spread around more. But to fix this issue, what you have to do it add a "" before your username. for example:

Username: \domain\username

Password: whatever your password is

Make sure you save to your keychain after. This has worked for me. I'm not sure where I found this, but it was a lifesaver. Hope it helps for you!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-10-27T20:03:27+00:00

The suggestion by Vladimir was about certificates.

I’ve seen this problem numerous times with corrupted Keychain entries.

Outlook stores the password in the Keychain. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access and look for the corresponding entry.

The easiest from there is to delete it (which will allow Outlook to recreate a clean new one next time).

You can also run the Keychain First Aid command from within the application to try and correct any other issue your keychain might have.

Corentin

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-10-29T12:15:08+00:00

    LISTEN UP! I have spent 7 months trying to figure this out and have FINALLY DID IT!

    Open Outlook, go to Tools, go to Accounts, choose the AT&T email account, click the Advanced tab at bottom right, now UNCHECK "Sync all IMAP folders".

    Quit Outlook and then restart. PROBLEM SOLVED!

    The problem is that the sync function keeps hitting the AT&T servers causing the password error.

    YOU ARE THE MAN !!! Works on all my IMAP accounts !!!! thanks a lot

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T10:13:24+00:00

    I tried all proposed methods, but no change.

    To my humble opinion this must be a bug in Outlook., not in OSX, because Outlook is the only application with this problem.

    And it must be something recent. Previous versions of Outlook did not have this problem.

    Is it possible to get an older version?

    It would be nice to hear an opinion of a Microsoft specialist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-30T14:14:10+00:00

    I tried all proposed methods, but no change.

    To my humble opinion this must be a bug in Outlook., not in OSX, because Outlook is the only application with this problem.

    And it must be something recent. Previous versions of Outlook did not have this problem.

    Is it possible to get an older version?

    It would be nice to hear an opinion of a Microsoft specialist.

    I agree. This is clearly something within Outlook and/or the interaction between Outlook and Exchange. The symptoms do not exist when using the Apple Mail program.  And, furthermore, after taking no additional steps, the problem stopped on it's own. So I did nothing, but everything went back to normal. That is not a normal scenario if the issue were on 'my side'.  The fact that Microsoft 365 support staff went radio-silent on me and flat out stopped communicating with me for 2 weeks until I contacted the manager also suggests there is something more to this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments