Mac Mail - Problems Sync'ing Inbox with IMAP Hotmail

Anonymous
2013-09-24T00:01:21+00:00

I'm having a problem in syncing my hotmail e-mails through IMAP on Mail for mac.

I've followed the steps in **How to set up Mac Mail to sync your Outlook.com account**to set up my mail in Mail for mac and it seemed to work. The initial sync worked fine, but then after I tried to copy/paste a load of my old POP3 mail from the same hotmail account into the IMAP mailbox, I have started to get issues where Mac Mail never finishes sync'ing. I now have had no new email land in my inbox for 5 days !   :-(

All the folders under the inbox and all the other mail items such as sent, drafts, junk etc are synchronising but none of the new e-mails in the inbox are showing up.

Can someone please guide me as to what this issue could be and how to fix it ?   I keep occasionally getting the "error 9" messages that other people have received, but mainly I just see the 'activity monitor' sat there saying "Synchronizing with server" for hours on end and then it appears to stop.

The inbox currently has around 3.5k mails inside, but I have approx 7k I still need to *copy* into this mailbox from my old POP3 mailbox archive.

I have tried shutting down mail and deleting the .OfflineCache folder as per certain blog posts, but to no avail. I have also tried to offline/online the account as well as "enable/disable" the account from inside Mac Mail preferences.

Mac OS X v10.8.5

Mac Mail v6.6

Any help is very much appreciated.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-30T21:15:40+00:00

    Mine finnaly started to work great. I did nothing

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T01:58:05+00:00

    Anyone had an update in this?

    I am experiencing the same issue where I do not get reliable sync on IMAP (about 10% missing as above), but works fine on Active Sync.

    Also I delete email on mac client but is not deleted. Also moving mail does not seem to work reliably.

    Can anyone help me? I want you to let me know the solution!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-23T11:35:38+00:00

    Hi Felix,

    Thank you for posting your question here in Microsoft Community. I can see that you’re having issues with setting up your account using IMAP in your computer. Let me help you with this.

    There’s a possibility that you’re not using the correct settings on your computer that’s why it does not work as expected. If you’re using a Mac Mail, we recommend that you follow the steps provided in this article on how you can set your account up in your computer.

    You may also want to use a different Microsoft account on your device to check if this is an account specific issue. Let us know how things turn out.

    Regards,

    Johayber T.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-05T05:05:53+00:00

    Hello

    I already check and I am using the correct settings on my computer. I dont know how the problem still happen!

    When I receive an email in my cell phone then it doesn't appear in my computer!

    Hope you can help me!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2014-10-06T03:19:32+00:00

    Hello

    I don't mean to be rude, but Microsoft's has been quite annoying on this issue.

    I notified the problem already on January, but nobody managed to solve it.

    Many users are facing the same thread.

    The company, however, keeps telling its users to check their settings and the like. 

    THERE'S NO CONFIGURATION TO CHECK. MICROSOFT, PLEASE, JUST SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments